[Reviews - 455] Liked
Past Featured StorySummary:

Aaron's arrival and offer of safety brought about changes, but none so much as for the two already damaged survivors who first met when the world all fell apart, Carol Pelletier and Daryl Dixon. Will these changes draw them closer together or will they drift apart as they navigate new lives and responsibilities in the ASZ?


Rated: M
Categories: Season 5
Characters: Aaron, Carol Peletier, Daryl Dixon, Eric Raleigh, Michonne Hawthorne, Rick Grimes
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Adult Language, Rape (Actual), Sexual Situations
Series: None
Chapters: 63 Completed: Yes
Word count: 197600 Read: 76375
Published: March 07, 2015 Updated: September 24, 2016



Print or Download Story: Printer Microsoft Word ePub eBook
Story Notes:

This story has kind of taken on a life of its own and after reading a few new reviews, I decided I should rewrite the summary & notes to better reflect what it has become.  There are some pretty strong emotional threads in this, dealing with the abuse that both Carol and Daryl suffered, but it is their connection and desire to be better able to love one another that moves the action of the narrative forward. 

1. The Alexandria Junior League by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 25] Liked (1533 words)

Aaron and Eric speculate on just who and what Daryl Dixon is as he and Aaron prepare for their first scouting mission together.

Slight spoilers for S5:13, "Forget" if you haven't seen the episode previews.

2. Chapter 2: "One and the Same" by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 14] Liked (3140 words)

Listen: http://youtu.be/KHWZJR82TVY

Such total Caryl feels from this song!  I can see the YouTube video in my head, but have no idea how to do all that technical wizardry to make it, (I hope someone who reads this does!!) so I wrote a song fic story instead. Sequel to The Alexandria Junior League.

Note: A yenta is a Jewish professional matchmaker.

Trigger warning: brief mention of physical abuse.

3. Chapter 3: Craftsman of Destruction by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 11] Liked (3680 words)

All right, bear with me because it’s about to get all angsty up in here as Daryl and Carol try to understand the slow progress of their relationship in separate talks with Aaron and Eric.  Also Carol has a troubling encounter with Tobin and we learn what was in the package Glenn and Maggie brought to Daryl the day he left on his first run with Aaron.

The chapter alternates between Daryl out on a run with Aaron and Carol back in the ASZ.

Trigger warning: brief allusions to child sexual abuse and spousal abuse.

4. Chapter 4: Self-Harm by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 6] Liked (1639 words)

Daryl's return from the recruiting mission finds Carol in a dark place.

Trigger Warnings: mentions of abuse and self harm coping behavior; sexual situations.

5. Chapter 5: Better than Chocolate by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 11] Liked (2173 words)

A bit of fluff for you after the angst of the last two chapters: Carol prepares to head off for rifle training.

6. Chapter 6: Queen Anne's Lace by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (2203 words)

Daryl and Caryl outside the walls for target practice, a little necking and a couple of revelations.

7. Chapter 7:“...a mausoleum of all hope and desire...” by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 12] Liked (2708 words)

Daryl and Aaron are called away and Carol has an encounter with the head of the ASZ.

For Jessa & Hanna.

8. Chapter 8: Behind Blue Eyes by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 14] Liked (3449 words)

Begins with the events of the season 5 Finale, Conquer. Spoilers if you haven't yet watched it.

Morgan has just saved Daryl and Aaron from the Wolf trap; Carol has just threatened Pete, the Porch Dick (with apologies to the actor, who is by all indications, a lovely man).

9. Chapter 9; The Price We Pay for Love by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 12] Liked (3114 words)

Carol and Rosita help with a sad but necesssary task before the funeral service. Jessie complicates Team family's situation and Daryl impresses someone important.

10. Chapter 10: Students of Reality by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3304 words)

Deanna questions Carol, calls the meeting to order and we hear a lot more from Morgan. Things are about to get a little Zen up in here.

11. Chapter 11: How to Save a Life by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 11] Liked (2052 words)

Daryl is inadvertently triggered to feel inadequate to situations past and present.

If you need it, warning that B@th G. is mentioned as a plot point.

Daryl: “You saved us, all by yourself.”
Carol: “We got lucky, we all should be dead.” (Strangers, S5:2)

Carol: “I don’t think we get to save people anymore.”
Daryl: “Then why are you here?”
Carol: “I’m trying.” (Consumed, S5:6)

Carol (to Daryl):“I think she saved my life...she saved your life too, right?” (Them, S5:10)

12. Chapter 12: A Stitch in Time by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 12] Liked (2645 words)

Carol learns what Daryl needs from her and questions whether or not she can give it.

In sewing you have a pattern, a plan that allows you to create a garment that not only fits but conceals your body, hopefully camouflaging the bumpy not so perfect parts and flattering whatever you have. Carol's been a seamstress for a long time now.

13. Chapter 13:An Unlived Life by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3214 words)

Preparations for the coming attack continue with a surprising new assignment given out at the Council meeting as Rick reasserts himself.

14. Chapter 14: Dire Straits by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 14] Liked (4367 words)

Dire: very bad: causing great fear or worry; warning of disaster; showing a very bad future; requiring immediate action; very urgent
Straits: limited as to means or resources (Merriam-Webster's Dictionary)

 

 

15. Chapter 15: No More Let Life Divide by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 10] Liked (3902 words)

The Wolves make their presence known.

Warning: minor character death following closely the same events in the TWD comic's Jessick arc.

Disclaimer: Kirkman owns the comics & a big part of the TV show, so the plots in them are his & the other writers, not mine.  If I did, Jessie would've been more than another man pain plot device and Rick would get his head out of his ass.

16. Chapter 16: Hook, Snare and Pit by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 8] Liked (2528 words)

A bit of Carol and Morgan's inner concerns and motivations are uncovered as the Wolves prepare to move on the ASZ.

17. Chapter 17; Royal Flush by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 6] Liked (3966 words)

The Wolves continue their attack by coming inside the walls of the ASZ.

Warnings: Minor character death; discussion of sexual assault including graphic language.

18. Chapter 18: Family by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 9] Liked (4665 words)

Carol and Daryl return home to what is for one of them an unwelcome surprise in the aftermath of the Wolves attack.

Sweet smut warning.

19. Chapter 19; Pride by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 11] Liked (3628 words)

Deanna sizes up the woman found amongst the Wolves; Sam gets his first shooting lesson from Daryl; and Carol engages in a contest of wills.

20. Chapter 20: The Eighteenth Man by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 9] Liked (3840 words)

The problem of what to do with the eighteen prisoners is debated in Council; Carol and Daryl try to deal with Deanna's refusal to change their living arrangements, and a vital decision about the Wolves is made.

21. Chapter 21: The Harpy by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 9] Liked (3036 words)

Concerned about who might've carried out the unauthorized execution of the Wolves, Rick, Daryl, Michonne and Abe meet in secret to discuss the possibilities; while Carol works with Dr. Yang on analyzing the remains for clues and a surprising truth or two are revealed.

 

Note: A harpy is a mythological monster depicted as a sharp clawed bird of prey with a woman's face. They steal or befoul the food of their victims while they are eating and carry evildoers (especially those who have killed their family) to Tartarus, the place of punishment in the ancient Greek Underworld.

 

     

22. Chapter 22: Full of Grace by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (4165 words)

Carol and Daryl have separate talks with friends who try to help them before they meet to decide what their next step should be.

23. Chapter 23: Keep on Tryin' by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 8] Liked (2631 words)

The plan to eliminate the Lupus Dei moves forward, Daryl finds out what shower fun time is all about and suspicion for who is responsible the deaths of the Wolves falls on someone who divides the sympathies of everyone in the Zone.

Sweet smut warning!

24. Chapter 24:A Matter of Trust by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 7] Liked (2894 words)

Rick interrogates Carol about the Wolves and then brings her before Deanna.

25. Chapter 25: Helpless by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 8] Liked (3232 words)

The investigation into the Wolves' deaths continues.

Trigger warning: discussion of sexual abuse and attempted rape.

26. Chapter 26: Truth and Consequences by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 13] Liked (2894 words)

Carl, Enid and Ron face the results of their actions with unexpected consequences for others in the ASZ.

27. Chapter 27:An Undeserved Curse by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 8] Liked (2432 words)

Six weeks later, Daryl's return to his recruiting duties with Aaron is not all smooth sailing, while back in the ASZ, during a difficult time, Carol and Michonne find they have more in common than they knew .

Angst alert...

28. Chapter 28:"Not everything that is faced can be changed..." by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 14] Liked (3525 words)

Overdue recruiters, outside forces and interior secrets complicate the lives of the residents of the ASZ.

29. Chapter 29: “Homo homini lupus est.” by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 10] Liked (2769 words)

Aaron and Daryl do their best to survive their captivity, as do Erin and Deanna, while Rick has to break the news of his mother’s brave sacrifice to Spencer.

Trigger Warning: References to sexual assault, torture and its aftermath.

This is a rough one, guys.

 

30. Chapter 30: Broken Walls by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 9] Liked (2747 words)

The ASZ rescue group makes preparations to track down their missing people, with one rather reluctant participant.

A little levity & sweetness to leaven the sadness of the last chapter.

31. Chapter 31: "We're Killing Strangers" by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3592 words)

Deanna and Erin reach the Wolves' base, followed closely by the arrival of the search party.

Trigger warning: references to sexual acts and vulgar terminology about such from the Wolves.

32. Chapter 32: El Dia de los Muertos by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 6] Liked (1787 words)

While those at the ASZ get encouraging news, the rescue of the prisoners held by the Wolves continues.

Warning: Character death.

33. Chapter 33: Gray Matters by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 6] Liked (2425 words)

Carol keeps vigil at Daryls bedside while Rick and Morgan deal with the last Wolf as they scavenge the Pack's lair. 

34. Chapter 34: Can You Love Me Again? by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 8] Liked (3837 words)

Daryl wakes and his usual sunny personality (NOT) makes him butt heads with Dr. Yang. Rick and Morgan's return with an extra man causes a problem when an ASZ resident reacts badly.

Warning: clinical discussion of physical trauma of rape.

35. Chapter 35: Brothers and Sisters by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 8] Liked (3497 words)

Three months after the defeat of the Wolves, the residents of the ASZ face new challenges as their population grows and they face a difficult winter.

36. Chapter 36: Just the Way You Are by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 7] Liked (3302 words)

The extended Grimes household gets a new addition and Carol comes home to find Daryl waiting in their room after his session with Claire.

Trigger warning: Frank discussion of rape and sexual abuse.

37. Chapter 37: If You Go Away by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 8] Liked (3669 words)

Fluffy...oh so fluffy...

Three months later.

38. Chapter 38: Damaged People by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 9] Liked (3022 words)

Carol faces down a looming threat that could change her and Daryl's lives forever.

39. Chapter 39: While I Was Away by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 8] Liked (3731 words)

Daryl gives Rick unwelcome news and things go seriously south...

Warning: Character death paralleling the TWD Comic.

40. Chapter 40: Everything That Falls Gets Broken by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 6] Liked (3260 words)

Alexandria mourns one of its own.

41. Chapter 41: Golgotha by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 3] Liked (2107 words)

The silent observer from Hilltop finally makes his presence known.

42. Chapter 42:A Devastating Place by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 7] Liked (3468 words)

A dangerous mission to Hilltop to create an alliance with new arrival Jesus means the group is split, with those remaining in Alexandria facing the preparation of the walled city's defenses for the imminent arrival of Negan and the Saviors.

43. Chapter 43: I'd rather be dreaming by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (2985 words)

The group tries to decide how to break the news about Carol to Daryl while she works to appease Negan and protect the other women he took from Alexandria.

44. Chapter 44: A Different Heart Raving by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 4] Liked (3757 words)

Hiding one's true motivations from those who wish to do you harm is the theme as we see Carol and Daryl fighting to get to one another in their own separate ways.

45. Chapter 45: "In thy blush the rose was born" by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 4] Liked (2968 words)

Daryl tries to leave Alexandria but meets resistance at the gates. Carol and Erin are subject to more of Negan’s eccentric behavior when he supervises her medical check.

“Aura Lee,” written in 1861, is a Civil War era song which was popular with soldiers in the southern states. Its tune was borrowed for the Elvis Presley song “Love me Tender.” Its verses run through the seasons that a man is away from the woman that he loves, her constancy through the cold winter rewarded with blissful reunion in the spring when he returns. It seemed fitting for the Caryl separations, both in this story and on TWD. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvBAu0JO9G4

46. Chapter 46: "Nemo me impune lacessit" by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 4] Liked (2515 words)

The title is in Latin and translates as: “No one provokes me with impunity” which means no one hurts me and mine and escapes without punishment. It is the motto of the Royal Company of Archers,  the Queen's Bodyguard for Scotland.  

47. Chapter 47: "A crack in my soul..." by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 1] Liked (3050 words)

Daryl is brought before Negan and his people while Rick and the group from Alexandria arrive at Hilltop to find the situation is a bit different than when they were last there.

48. Chapter 48: “The only thing necessary...” by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 2] Liked (2672 words)

Daryl and Carol begin to play their dangerous game of cat and mouse with Negan while Carl tries to work out where his potential ally's loyalty really lies.

49. Chapter 49: Wise as Serpents by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 3] Liked (3508 words)

We find out how Maggie came to be leader at Hilltop; Michonne gives Morgan a little Caryl themed history lesson and Daryl faces Negan's tests, both expected and not.

50. Chapter 50: "Another little piece of my heart" by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 0] Liked (2593 words)

Everyone gets a bit more information to help their plans to take down Negan come together, but it's not all good news.

51. Chapter 51: The Teind by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 2] Liked (3020 words)

Negan places a demand on Carol that shows his true colors and Jesus introduces Rick and Michonne to the leader the the "Kingdom," Ezekiel, with suprising consequences.

Teind: Old Scots lowland term for a tribute due to be paid by the fairies to the devil every seven years to allow them to keep their realm; in effect a tithe to hell. Found in the story of Tam Lin as well as in the Ballad of Thomas the Rhymer.

Quid pro quo ("something for something" in Latin) means an exchange of goods or services, where one transfer is contingent upon the other.

52. Chapter 52: The Eye of the Tiger by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 3] Liked (2711 words)

While Rick expresses his distrust of Ezekiel, Michonne learns more about their host at Kingdom. Negan continues to show his disturbing philosophy of life while Carol and Daryl learn what Dwight has to tell them about Sanctuary.

53. Chapter 53: Monster by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 8] Liked (4119 words)

Carol and Negan negotiate; Daryl and Erin gain an ally; and Dwight fucks up and possibly endangers everyone in Sanctuary.

Explicit content warning: coerced sexual acts

This was a tough one to write. It gets pretty dark.

54. Chapter 54: Bethesda by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3826 words)

The aftermath of Dwight's murder of Sherry has unexpected consequences. Caryl get a tiny sweet moment and the plan moves ahead.

Notes: The pool of Bethesda in Jerusalem was famous for healings. People with illness gathered there believing that an angel went down at a certain time into the pool and stirred up the water; then whoever stepped in first, after the stirring of the water, was made well of whatever disease he had. In the bible story, Jesus heals a man there without using the waters.

   Jesus said, “See, you have been made well. Sin no more, lest a worse thing come upon you.” John 5:14

The name of the pool is said to be derived from the Hebrew language and/ or Aramaic language, beth hesda (בית חסד/חסדא), meaning either house of mercy or house of grace. In both Hebrew and Aramaic the word could also mean 'shame, disgrace'. This dual meaning may have been thought appropriate since the location was seen as a place of disgrace due to the presence of invalids, and a place of grace, due to the granting of healing.

55. Chapter 55: Holding out for a Hero by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 2] Liked (3000 words)

Preparations to make war on Negan begin at the Kingdom and Hilltop, while at Sanctuary Carl has a couple of surprise visitors and there are complications which could affect the escape plan.

56. Chapter 56: A Fire in my Heart by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 3] Liked (2815 words)

This chapter starts immediately after the previous one, as Wade attempts to take Dr. Yang on the run to Bethesda under protest from Carol and the others.

57. Chapter 57: In the Narrows by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (2902 words)

Okay. After re-watching S1&2, I have recovered some of my Caryl feels. They so carefully paralleled the two characters in those seasons that it had to have been planned. I also made some new (to me) Cherokee Rose sightings: Carol's shirt in S1 and the lace crochet coverlet on the couch in Hershel's house in S2 (most visible in "Judge, Jury Executioner,") both had Cherokee style roses in their pattern. I also saw all the longing shy glances & Carol's tears after telling Daryl "I can't lose you too." It was a real, we weren't imagining it, no matter how they may be trying to retcon & deny the connection this season.

I still don't know if I will watch the show any more, but I do want to finish my WIPs for you. This story has been the one most requested, so I thought I'd start with it. I was pleased that it came pretty easily today, so I'm hopeful that will continue with the others,

A bit of angst ahead for our characters though....sorry!

58. Chapter 58: Go back or go forward by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 4] Liked (3614 words)

It's all about choices.

59. Chapter 59: It’s a Mad World by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 3] Liked (3469 words)

Picks up right where the previous chapter left off.

Well, I knew tonight's episode (6:14) would be a crap fest, so I've been working on this chapter to distract myself.  Hope you find it a nice diversion from the truly crappy feels I know many of us are feeling.

Spoiler Alert: Avoid my end note rant if you haven't seen episode 6:14 yet.

60. Chapter 60: Love Within Reason by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 6] Liked (3195 words)

Events progress at Alexandria and Hilltop as Wade realizes just who he may be dealing with and the difficult birth of Carol and Daryl’s son tests all those involved.

61. Chapter 61: “The Workers of Iniquity” by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 3] Liked (2269 words)

Timeline: This chapter takes place after Negan leaves Sanctuary to go to Bethesda in search of the medical supplies to help Carol, who unbeknownst to him has escaped along with Daryl, Carl and the rest of the captives from Alexandria except Rosita, who Negan had taken with him. Rick leads the allied group from Hilltop, Alexandria and Kingdom to rescue Rosita and try to take out Negan and as many of the Saviors with him as they can. The events at Hilltop and Alexandria in the previous chapter are occurring at the same time.

62. Chapter 62:Should the Wide World Roll Away by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 1] (4250 words)

In this chapter a little bit of sweetness before a confrontation at Hilltop with Negan and the Saviors that will change everything.

Warnings: secondary character death.

Thank you to the Admins. who do such a wonderful job of keeping this place humming along. It’s a safe place to work out all my feels. You are my people. I have too many feels about this stupid show and none of the people I know in my regular life who watch it are Carylers so their eyes kind of cross when I try to talk about my ship with them. My BF literally said, “You have to disengage—just watch the show for the overall plot and stop caring so much about the characters—you’re making yourself crazy.” Sigh. It’s like he doesn’t even know me at all...

 

63. Chapter 63:Warriors in the Garden by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (4590 words)

Two years later...

Sexual content warning.