[Reviews - 125] Liked
Summary:

As a health crisis for one of the original Atlanta survivors sends Daryl and Carol into danger on a mission of mercy, the addition of the Woodbury refugees to the Prison group forces them to re-examine their special connection. Very Caryl.


Rated: M
Categories: Season 3/4 Interlude
Characters: Beth Greene, Carl Grimes, Carol Peletier, Daryl Dixon, Glenn Rhee, Hershel Greene, Maggie Greene Rhee, Michonne Hawthorne, Rick Grimes, Tyreese Williams
Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance
Warnings: Adult Language, Sexual Situations
Series: None
Chapters: 41 Completed: Yes
Word count: 121533 Read: 28191
Published: July 26, 2015 Updated: September 14, 2015



Print or Download Story: Printer Microsoft Word ePub eBook
Story Notes:

This was the first chapter story I ever posted in ff.net. It recently got recommended on the Carylsmut blog which made me realize I had never moved it here to Nine Lives. It has some of my favorite stuff in it, so if you've not read it before, here you go! 

1. Chapter 1: Shades of Gray by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 9] Liked (3608 words)

Daryl and Carol leave the prison in search of the medical equipment needed to save Glenn but run into problems on the road.

2. Chapter 2: The End of the Beginning by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 3] (1064 words)

This one's short but sweet! Sets us up for a fluffy flashback in the next chapter...

3. Chapter 3: Is anybody listening? by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 7] Liked (3406 words)

A little flashback to the Prison to show how aware everyone was of the dynamic between Caryl. 

I wish we could've seen more of the bonding that took place on the road between S2 & S3 that made them such a tight knit combat unit that could take over the Prison and also have the comfort level with each other to tease Glenn and Maggie about their watch tower love shack! 

4. Chapter 4:Why We Stay by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 3] Liked (2409 words)

Daryl's POV chapter on some of the same events we've already heard Carol recall. I wanted to explore his motivation for staying with the group after they returned from the ill fated mission to rescue Merle.

5. Chapter 5: The Shipping News by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 3] (834 words)

Another (very short) flashback based on the fight scene in the S4 San Diego Comicon Preview between Daryl, Tyreese and Rick. Some freeze frames of it show what looks like Carol's hand reaching in trying to stop them, so I used that as a prompt to set the scene of why Daryl and Carol aren't speaking at the start of this story.

(BTW I do like Tyreese in the TV show, but seeing as he didn't treat Carol very well in the comics I felt justified in making him a bit of a jerk here ;-)

6. Chapter 6: Three Little Words by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 6] (4197 words)

Ok, kids, you might want to have a glass of cool water ready to splash on yourself after reading this one. Sweet Caryl smut.

7. Chapter 7: Coming Home by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 6] Liked (2250 words)

Daryl gets his next lesson and it's a doozy. Smoke 'em if you got 'em, folks, the night ain't over yet. What was it old Will S. said? "Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished..."

8. Chapter 8: Conversations With Dead People by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 4] Liked (1800 words)

This is the "meanwhile back at the Prison" chapter.

If you are a BTVS fan you will recognize the title I borrowed for this chapter! Thank you JW, I only steal from the best.

9. Chapter 9: That's God Laughing by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 3] Liked (2310 words)

Glenn's fever dream Part 2.

10. Chapter 10: "Wishin' and hopin' and prayin'" by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 3] (1718 words)

A little morning after action here, along with some important personal revelations for our Caryl.

A bit of calm before the storm...

11. Chapter 11: Mockingbird by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 3] (2900 words)

An unexpected new danger threatens Daryl and Carol's mission.

12. Chapter 12: Breathing Lessons by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 2] Liked (3016 words)

Flashback, the winter on the road, pre-Prison; how Carol became "a pretty good shot."

13. Chapter 13: Serendipity by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 2] Liked (2680 words)

Glenn's fever dream part 3 and then some...

14. Chapter 14: Pas de deux by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 4] Liked (3139 words)

A little Caryl flashback to some S2 episode events, (mainly from Chupacabra and Pretty Much Dead Already) and Glenn meets up with a surprising person as he continues to observe our lovers.

15. Chapter 15: Sangju by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 3] Liked (2091 words)

In Korean funerary customs the first son of the deceased assumes the role of Sangju, basically the master of ceremonies for the rituals of death.

16. Chapter 16: Guts Part II by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (4449 words)

Carol's plan comes to fruition as she and Daryl escape the storm cellar with a little sweet smut thrown in for motivation and a surprise at the end.

17. Chapter 17: Philadelphia and Peachtree by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 2] Liked (2912 words)

Philia: (Gr.) love for and loyalty to friends, family, and community; it requires virtue, equality and familiarity.

18. Chapter 18: "The river flows and the wind blows..." by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 3] Liked (2220 words)

Glenn makes a parliamentary inquiry and Carol and Daryl meet up with some unexpected people from the past.

Oops! I somehow left this chapter out & had the following one, "El Bribon" in here as Ch. 18. This is the correct order.

19. Chapter 19: El Bribón by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 0] Liked (5163 words)

A bit of respite and down time for Carol and Daryl to regroup and get some healing help.

20. Chapter 20: Tamer of the Slain by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 2] Liked (1884 words)

As they gather the supplies to help Glenn, Carol and Daryl learn some disturbing news about the lay of the land in 

21. Chapter 21: Holding Angels by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 1] (2301 words)

We revisit Glenn's fever dream in which he's guided in his review of past events to new understanding of them.

22. Chapter 22: Valkyries by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 1] (3477 words)

As Carol and Daryl make their farewells to the Vatos, new information comes to light about Angel's captivity and the man who held her.

Warning: sexual violence implied.

23. Chapter 23: "A rose by any other name..." by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 3] Liked (2084 words)

Daryl returns to the prison and Carol adopts a new identity in her captivity.

24. Chapter 24: Gifts by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 2] (1911 words)

Daryl and Carol both receive something unexpected.

 

25. Chapter 25: "...brave new world..." by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 3] Liked (2143 words)

We return to Glenn's fever dream visitations with the angels.

26. Chapter 26: "But the cat came back..." by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 4] Liked (3518 words)

Daryl and Carol work to fight their way back to each other.

Warning: implied sexual abuse.

27. Chapter 27: "Betrayals large and small..." by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 3] Liked (3094 words)

Carol and Daryl find themselves faced with serious trust issues in their respective situations.

"The power of good is shown not by triumphantly conquering evil, but by continuing to resist evil while facing certain defeat." -Edith Hamilton, Mythology.

28. Chapter 28: Heads up by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 1] (3292 words)

Daryl gets some unexpected help and Martinez reveals something to Carol.

29. Chapter 29: "Prelude of the Potentials" by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 2] Liked (3900 words)

I wanted to explore that calm before the storm mood a bit more in this chapter and also show how Carol and Daryl's slow burn relationship rippled out and affected other people in interesting ways.

(Back before S4 started, when I was writing this, I was really interested to see what they would do with the character of Karen. Having her survive the Governor’s massacre made us all think they had big plans for her and I know many feared her potential for being a Caryl spoiler, so I tweaked that a little in this chapter by having her go after Daryl but then putting her with the other rumored spoiler of Caryl, Tyreese. Of course things worked out much differently in canon...)

30. Chapter 30: Appearances by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 1] Liked (2939 words)

Carol recalls a friend lost at Blake’s hand while Daryl and the group of rescuers begin their journey.

31. Chapter 31: The Twilight of the Gods by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 1] (3546 words)

The plan is in motion; Daryl and company arrive at Blake's compound where earlier Carol and Martinez ran into some difficulties after G and Beth are allowed in.

32. Chapter 32: Revelations by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 3] Liked (3440 words)

Flashback to before the attack on Blake’s compound. Daryl & co. at G’s in Senoia & Carol in the Infirmary inside; some interesting things come out in the conversations in which our heroes engage...

33. Chapter 33: The Sons of Muspell by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 2] (2788 words)

Carol and Daryl's groups meet up and plans are made.

34. Chapter 34: " The Cuckoo" by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 2] (2094 words)

Here's what Beth & G have been dealing with while our rescuers regroup.

35. Chapter 35: Prelude to the Crisis by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (2425 words)

A little flashback and some Caryl sweetness before the Battle in the Hall.

36. Chapter 36: Hungry like the Wolf by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 2] Liked (3318 words)

Past deeds come back to haunt the 'tin plated dictator with delusions of godhood.' (Bonus points if you get the reference)

Warning: Character death & cute nicknames ahead.

37. Chapter 37:Atonement by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 2] Liked (4028 words)

When last we left our heroes they had just defeated Blake and were fleeing Senoia, some still in jeopardy, some having lost their lives in the battle. This rather long chapter starts with one of the lost ending up in a familiar place...

 

38. Chapter 38: The Adventures of Huckleberry Dixon by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 1] (7526 words)

So now we find out what was happening at the Prison before, during and after Daryl's time with Martinez in Limbo. Actually, in order, we start 5 months after Senoia, and then jump back to the day after they defeated Valtamr, when they return to the prison and then it goes forward from there.

This one is the longest chapter I've written. I just couldn't find the right place to break it; it all seemed to flow in the same narrative stream, so I left it alone.

Trigger warning: references to sexual assault

Also some pretty hot very consensual smut ahead.

39. Chapter 39: Hold on... by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 2] (3719 words)

I wrote this after S4's "Isolation" with its big OMG reveal about Carol's part in the deaths of Karen and David. At the time I thought we could all use some sweet fluffy & then smut filled Daryl & Carol together time, so here you go:

40. Chapter 40: "Wisdom begins…" by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 2] Liked (2847 words)

This is pretty much Pure FluffEnjoy.

 

41. Chapter 41: Epilogue by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 9] Liked (3093 words)

We check in with our angelic observers and get a little flash forward to finish this one up.