[Reviews - 96] Liked
Summary:

World War II AU. Carol and Daryl meet at a USO canteen in 1945 Atlanta.

 

 


Rated: M
Categories: Alternate Universe
Characters: Carol Peletier, Daryl Dixon
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Series: None
Chapters: 20 Completed: No
Word count: 67068 Read: 10583
Published: September 15, 2015 Updated: November 04, 2016



Print or Download Story: Printer Microsoft Word ePub eBook
Story Notes:

Notes: For visual reference, Daryl would look like short haired, clean shaven NR in “The Notorious Betty Page” and MMB like more like she did in “The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys.” 

In 1940, pianist Fats Waller recorded a novelty song called "Abercrombie Had a Zombie" about the effects of the cocktail on a previously law-abiding citizen who has a few Zombies and becomes a public menace. The rum and fruit juice drink had been a big hit at the 1939 World’s Fair in New York, but was infamous for the punch it packed while seeming merely to be an innocent fruity concoction. Something like our Carol in Alexandria...

 

1. Chapter 1 by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 17] Liked (3320 words)

The parallels between the Walker Apocalypse and the devastation of WWII kept me going on this one after inspiration hit.  I hope it makes sense to you too.

2. Chapter 2 by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (2993 words)

Notes:
Before the wide spread advent of color film, black and white photos were often colorized by having being over painted with watercolor to create natural looking skin, hair and eyes.

Marines call their hat a “cover.”

3. Chapter 3 by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 7] Liked (3170 words)

Daryl and Carol go to church (and it turns out better than when they did that in S2 & S5...).

Vocabulary Notes: The narthex (or vestibule) is a sort of enclosed front porch area in a church building where one enters from the outside, before going into the sanctuary proper. A sacristy & vestry are the 2 rooms on either side of the altar.

In trying to keep the dialogue in period I’ve used the 40s term ‘colored’ for African American.

Gams: legs, usually those of an attractive female, (also stems and sticks)

Maggie’s drawers: Red flag used on rifle range to indicate a miss. 

Zombie: Soldier who falls in next to lowest category in Army classification tests, (also goon)

Khaki wacky: Boy crazy, focused mainly on soldiers

"Glossary of American Slang." American Speech. Vol. 16. No. 3 (Oct. 1941) pp. 163-169. Duke UP.

www.vintageallies.com

 

   

4. Chapter 4 by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 6] Liked (3604 words)

Daryl and Carol accept a friendly invitation that may come with hidden strings.

Notes: Silver Star: 3rd highest military award for valor in action 

Purple Heart: awarded for being wounded in action

ducky shin cracker: really good dancer

5. Chapter 5 by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (2932 words)

Caryl and Gleggie meet up with some familiar faces in Washington. D.C.

Vocabulary Notes:
wet rag
: someone who is just no fun   
classy chassis: hot women
togged to the bricks: dressed up

6. Chapter 6 by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 6] Liked (2896 words)

Caryl and the gang continue on their quest for the best barbeque in Washington, D.C. with a little help from a fellow bus passenger.

Notes:
Anacostia: the river bordering the 5th Ward neighborhoods of Washington, D.C.

"muddy": a combination of sauce and rub on barbecue

7. Chapter 7 by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3134 words)

Daryl and Carol’s friends work to give them some time alone to talk…yeah, right,who am I kidding, plenty of sweet smut herein (but they really do talk too…I promise.)

Notes: phosphate: a type of citrus tasting additive used in sodas in the 1940s and earlier; it lasted better than real citrus juice and has a distinctive taste.

8. Chapter 8 by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 2] Liked (3137 words)

At Daryl's Medal of Honor ceremony, Carol meets other guests who help her come to an important decision. 

9. Chapter 9 by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (4069 words)

In his very Dixon way, Daryl prepares for Carol’s imminent departure while Rick runs into trouble at the USO and news of a historical event may change all their lives.

10. Chapter 10 by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 8] Liked (3054 words)

Her training done, Carol is stationed aboard a military hospital ship in the Pacific.

Note: Italics indicate Daryl's letter to Carol.

"swabbie" = Navy man, usually lower ranking

It's been awhile since I updated this one--thanks for sticking with it!

11. Chapter 11 by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3381 words)

Carol struggles to help someone on the USS Hope make an important decision while back in Atlanta Daryl deals with emotionally taxing challenges.

 

12. Chapter 12 by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (5445 words)

Daryl and Merle size each other up; Carol’s homecoming dinner with Maggie, Glenn and the Dixons brings home some truths that might mar her reunion with Daryl.

Terms: flop: bed, usually a temporary situation in a cheaper hotel; hooch: liquor, especially illicit moonshine or bootleg alcohol

13. Chapter 13 by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 3] Liked (3005 words)

A surprising turn of events for Carol and the Dixons may alter one of their futures; Glenn and Maggie try to come to terms with what it will mean for them to make a family in light of everything that happened during the War. 

1940s Terms:
Dixie-cup, squid lid, dog dish, or Mason jar top: The white canvas sailors hat that has appeared and reappeared in the Navy as part of the uniform since it was first written into the uniform regulations of 1886. Source:  Hensgen, Marke A. "To Cap It All Off… A Fond Look at a Navy Trademark: Uses (and Abuses) of the 'Dixie Cup.'" All Hands 860 (November 1988): 33-35.http://www.history.navy.mil

Bedpan Commando, Blister Mechanic  = Medical corpsman
Become a Gold Star in Mom’s Window = A gentle way of saying killed in action.
KIA = Killed in Action
Give It the Deep Six = Forget it; keep it a secret. From older naval slang for burial at sea, which was known as “the deep six,” probably from the custom of burying people six feet underground.
O.A.O.= One-and-only, sweetheart or spouse
Saltwater cowboy = Marine
belly cousin = A man who has slept with a woman you slept with.
short arm = penis
Borrowed Brass = False courage inspired by drugs or drink. Variations: Bought Guts; Drugstore Nerve.
Sourcehttp://oddpad.com/blow-it-out-your-barracks-bag-wwii-slang-from-the-front

Master Chiefs were given their own space on ships. Referred to as the “Chief’s Mess,” it is off-limits to anyone else (officer or enlisted) without invitation and is affectionately called the “Goat Locker.” It was known to be stocked with the best liquor on board or on base.

 

 

14. Chapter 14 by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 3] Liked (3202 words)

The aftermath of Merle’s actions in the previous chapter is felt as Carol and Daryl try and figure out how to help someone who doesn’t want to be helped.

Vocabulary Notes:
doll: pretty woman
gams: legs
rack: breasts
sinkers: donuts Variation: pep tire
Beat Your Gums: To talk a lot about something. Variations: Gumming; Jawing; Chin Music.
Devil Beater: Chaplain, Variation: GI Jesus, padre, sin buster, sky scout, soul aviator
Mud: coffee Variations: java, cup a’Joe
Side Arms: Cream and sugar for coffee
Swacked: Intoxicated
BTO: Big Time Operator — someone who thinks he’s important http://www.artofmanliness.com/2015/07/31/wwii-slang/

 

 

15. Chapter 15 by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3046 words)

Suddenly got my feels back for this one, so I went with it. Hope you like it!

Merle goes full redneck, Daryl gets poetic and Carol finds a surprise awaiting her when the USS Hope docks in Hawaii.

 

16. Chapter 16 by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 1] Liked (3596 words)

In Hawaii Paul Monroe takes Carol and her friends to the Land of Oz and we learn his motives may not be as pure as they seem, while Daryl is near the end of his rope running interference for Merle's assholish behavior back in Georgia.

Thank you for all the kind encouragement to continue this one! Enjoy!

17. Chapter 17 by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 1] Liked (3466 words)

Carol has a surprising encounter on a tropical beach and Daryl commiserates with Rick on the state of his love life.

WWII Vocabulary:

Battle Watch: To do one’s best under difficult circumstances.

Crumb Up: To get a haircut, shoeshine, freshly pressed shirt, etc., in preparation for an inspection.

Dead Battery:  An irritable or gloomy person; a pessimist.

18. Chapter 18 by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 3] Liked (3677 words)

The USS Hope's mission to relieve military base hospitals on the islands of the Pacific puts Carol into a dangerous position when her unit comes across a group of holdouts, Japanese soldiers who don't know that the war has ended.

(You'll see some familiar faces from TWD in similar jobs on the Saipan base, causing similar complications for Carol...)

19. Chapter 19 by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 2] Liked (2824 words)

Paul Monroe arrives at the Greene farm for a possibly life changing visit with the Dixon brothers.

WWII slang: 
Behavior report: letter from your girl back home
Hot dish: beautiful girl
Belay that: stop it
Dead nuts: crazy about
Make us Jake: make us even

 

20. Chapter 20 by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 2] Liked (3117 words)

WWII Slang:  
Bottled Sunshine: Beer
Duck Soup: An easy task
Give It the Deep Six: Forget it; keep it a secret