[Reviews - 233] Liked
Past Featured StorySummary:

For Carol Peletier, every day seems like an insurmountable struggle to get out of bed and face the world. That is, until a face she's kept locked in her heart for what feels like eternity, turns her world upside down. Some things never die.


Rated: M
Categories: Alternate Universe
Characters: Andrea Harrison, Carl Grimes, Carol Peletier, Dale Horvath, Daryl Dixon, Ed Peletier, Lori Grimes, Merle, Original Character(s), Rick Grimes, Shane Walsh, Sophia Peletier
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort, Romance
Warnings: Adult Language, Sexual Situations, Violence
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes
Word count: 109755 Read: 32950
Published: August 18, 2014 Updated: February 15, 2015



Print or Download Story: Printer Microsoft Word ePub eBook

1. Chapter 1 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 16] Liked (3057 words)

Well hello Carylers! Im finally here *waves* so for those of you who don't know me I'm Caz. I apologise if anything about the way this is laid out is crap I'm new to this and have tried to post three times and keep being signed out which is annoying to say the least. I hate technology. So I'll try to keep this short. This story has taken me months (with a little help from my besties Emily and Alii - you guys are awesome!) Thank you to Megan (Peta2) for your kindness and suggesting I post here. It's been on FF for a while too.

Without much more yapping from me,(because I'm worried I'm gonna have to do this again) here is a tale of angst, friendship, love and the belief that no matter what life throws at you, some things never die.

Embers.


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

2. Chapter 2 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 4] Liked (3188 words)

An insight into the life of Carol Peletier and the workings of her mind.

3. Chapter 3 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 3] Liked (2853 words)

Yeah we all miss him, so here he is ;)

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

4. Chapter 4 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 3] Liked (2919 words)

Hope you like this ;) I had a lot of fun writing this chapter.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

5. Chapter 5 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 2] Liked (3460 words)

A little bit of backstory on Daryl and his relationship with his father, and how it's affecting him in the present day. More Daryl/Dale moments!

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

6. Chapter 6 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 3] Liked (3164 words)

Apologies for these chapter notes being so crappy but I've written literally essays worth over on FF and I feel like a stuck record lol! Anyway, mothers... they see everything don't they?

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

7. Chapter 7 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 6] Liked (4035 words)

Chapter 7... my nemesis!! Had such a fight with this one but I think it turned out alright in the end ;) I hope it doesn't come across as OTT but I tried to get into Carol's frame of mind. Something trivial for someone else has the potential to cause her serious problems in her life... I hope it translates that way.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

8. Chapter 8 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 5] Liked (2970 words)

Hope you like this one :)

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

9. Chapter 9 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 7] Liked (4270 words)

This is one of my favourites because... well, you'll see ;)

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

10. Chapter 10 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 10] Liked (3984 words)

You guys effin' ROCK! I'm completely blown away by the response to this story since I posted it here, after weeks of thinking nobody was reading it and panicking slightly! I'm so glad you all seem to be enjoying it and I promise you, things are getting REAL now.

Can't believe we're at Chapter 10 already... Starting to panic for real now that you'll catch up to me! *must write faster* I usually don't post til Friday but I've just remembered I won't have time tomorrow so here you go! Chapter 10. All good things must come to an end sadly. (Don't panic! I just mean metaphorically haha) we still have a long way to go. Oh, just read the thing...

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended

11. Chapter 11 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 10] Liked (3103 words)

Okay guys thank you so much for your patience and also for your reviews which continue to make my year! I know it's been a big ball of angst up til now, and I'm afraid this chapter in particular has angst written all over it. Abuse warning for those of you who need a little heads up.

12. Chapter 12 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 7] Liked (2873 words)

A/N: Hello my pretties and welcome to another chapter! Are we all suitably flailing at *those* pics today? I can feel it in my bones people, this is our time!

Anyway, Chapter 12. This is the second last flashback (I think) before we move on with the story in the present. I had considered doing flashbacks all the way through... but when I thought about it, fifteen years is a LOOOOONG time, and I only really needed them to show what happened between our babies. This one is pivotal. No going back. These other flashbacks, may appear in future however... (*cough*sequel*cough*) ;)

As always, big thank you to kaoscraze and allidon for their continued support and input, you two are awesome. Also thank you for the always kind reviews. Nothing makes me happier than hearing back from you guys. I do also apologise for the once a week updates but I like to stay a few steps ahead, that way you don't have to wait months for an update (I've read a few that I've loved but haven't been updated in about a year so think what I'm sparing you! Hehe)

Anyway enough of my yapping. To the Carylmobile!

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters, TWD, or anything like that. They own me!

13. Chapter 13 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 9] Liked (2954 words)

A/N: Chapter 13? Okay I'm officially panicking eeeeep! Gonna try not to babble too much. Thanks as per to everyone for reading etc, also thanks to everyone who cheered me up at the weekend. I was having a bit of a stress. Writer's block has struck and I have a ton of adult boring stuff to do for exams etc so this is exactly why I update at a rate of one chapter a week... so you lovely lot don't need to wait 3 years for an update and in turn end up hating me haha!

Last flashback... not sure if there will be any more (maybe at the end?) but did I also mention... *cough*SEQUEL*cough*. Yes. Aherm.

This chapter made me cry. I will admit it without shame. I cried at myself. Young Carol's situation reminded me of something similar I went through and this scene is basically lifted from my own manpain haha. Also the first scene with Adult Carol I wrote to the soundtrack of I Dreamed a Dream sung by Susan Boyle. It fits.

Anyway, I have lots to do so enjoy my loves! And keep those sweet reviews coming, I need the feel good right now!

Also I know this is a huge angst fest... but it's allll about to change ;) bwahahahaha! You lot have no idea...

Disclaimer: TWD and its characters are the property of that baaaad man. Not me.

14. Chapter 14 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3710 words)

 

A/N: Okay so who apart from me is still flailing at that McReedus pic? Those little shits are gonna kill me. And the season 5 synopsis? OMG. Yes anyway, moving on because I have so much going on in my head it's driving me mad haha! Here is the chapter I know a lot of you have been waiting on. Don't be too disappointed, because let's just say I'm not done yet and what comes later will knock you sideways. That's all I'm gonna say. *maniacal laughing echoing into eternity*

Anyway, enjoy...

Oh and as always thank you to my besties kaoscraze and allidon for keeping me on the right track. And you guys for being awesome.

Disclaimer: You know the drill. I do not own TWD or any of its characters, no copyright intended blah blah. I do this for fun. Well, sometimes.

15. Chapter 15 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 7] (4416 words)

A/N: Omg you guys!! Have we had a fabby few weeks or what?! Season 5 is fast approaching and I for one cannot wait! We are also now coming into the real shizzle with this story so fasten your seatbelts! Now that Ed is out of the way, who knows what could happen! Little bit of fluff in this chapter to break up the angst but fear not, what's coming in the next few chapters is squeal worthy (I hope!) Thanks to kaoscraze and allidon as always for helping me. This chapter was a bit of a PITA so thanks you two for rescuing me!


Enjoy loves!


Disclaimer: TWD and its characters belong to their rightful owners. No copyright intended. Sheesh.

16. Chapter 16 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 6] (3541 words)

A/N: OMG are we all suitably flailing? A handsome redneck crying tears of joy and sweet lurrrve is too much for me to handle right now. This is it people. I can feel it!

Oh btw... here we are at Thursday AGAIN! Where the hell do my days go? Anyway, I hope you lot like this, you're like a pack of wolves by Wednesday night hehe! This chapter starts us on a lovely rolling momentum into some fluff, some heartbreak and some serious EEEEEEP moments. Special mention tonight for my besto kaoscraze. We were up late last night throwing ideas at each other and managed to break some serious obstacles down for later chapters so this one is for you my wee cupcake!

Also thanks to you awesome bunch on Nine Lives for having me as Featured Story of the Week. Defo wasn't expecting that but thank you!

Disclaimer: All characters property of Kirkman and co. No copyright intended. Aye.

17. Chapter 17 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 7] Liked (3336 words)

A/N: Are you excited?! As excited as me?! The new promo... that look... oh guys it's happening. Bugger trying to keep a lid on my emotions - GIVE ME ALLLLL THE THINGS! Is it Sunday yet?

Anyway, yes. Here you go. You lot are busting my ass (in the sense that I'm now only a few chapters ahead. Stop reading so fast and being Thursday again so fast!) I love you all though. Your reviews continue to make me smile stupidly... and right now it makes a change from the odd look of mayhem I'm wearing in preparation for Sunday. Caryl on you gorgeous b*stards.

Disclaimer: TWD and it's characters are property of Kirkman and co. I'm just taking them for a spin. Can't promise I'll have them back before midnight...

18. Chapter 18 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 9] Liked (3702 words)

A/N: Well how about that? I don't know about you lot, but I just CAN'T shake the feelings from that hug on Sunday. I cried like a stupid big baby and had to rewatch it x5,000,000. It's inspired so many great fics among all you talented bunch though so yay! And it's well and truly kickstarted my writing mojo so double yay for that.

Anyway loves, here we are at chapter 18. Just a little over half way in this yarn and getting fired right in as we say in Bonnie Scotland ;) so I'll leave it with you. Big thank you as always to my loyal band of readers and reviewers, you guys seriously make Thursday the best day of the week for me. You're all awesome. Especially big thanks to my besties kaoscraze and allidon. You two rock my socks.

Disclaimer: I do not own TWD or any of its characters, sadly. But after Sunday two of them definitely own me.

19. Chapter 19 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 10] Liked (3976 words)

A/N: Oh god I am finding it so hard to deal with my feelings from this season so far. First we had THAT HUG and then we had water jugs being dropped in an awkwardly adorable Daryl sort of way... Lord help us if this truly IS the season where we get what we've waited so long for.

Anyway here for your reading pleasure is Chapter 19. Enjoy and throw as many water jugs (reviews) as you wish at me to counter act my day from hell at work haha!

Disclaimer: TWD and its characters are property of Kirkman and co... don't let me down Rabert!

20. Chapter 20 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 9] (4461 words)

A/N: Hello all. Sorry this is late, I've been ill all week so doing anything at all has been very slow. Still don't feel great, but thanks for all the well wishes.

Anyway here is Chapter 20. Probably not gonna be popular for this chapter but just trust me, there's method in my madness I promise you. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Disclaimer: I do not own TWD or its characters.

21. Chapter 21 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 9] Liked (3364 words)

A/N: Well you guys really didn't like me last week for bringing back You Know Who! And you know what... that's okay. You're not gonna like me after this chapter either... or the next probably. Yes I am mean. Yes I love angst, and yes I am putting our beloved couple through the metaphorical wringer, but there is a reason for it! If you read the description of this story it says "No matter what life throws at you, some things never die." You'll understand eventually ;) things are about to blow up I shit you not! Patience my loves.

Disclaimer: I own nothing except a very twisted imagination.

Ad Astra Per Aspera.

22. Chapter 22 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 9] Liked (4288 words)

A/N: Well this is the one I am expecting absolute pelters for, but it's okay... because we have the episode on Sunday to look forward to!! Big thank you to my bestie Em (kaoscraze82) for her help with this chapter which has been changed about 3 million times. Without any further ado, here you go. This one.... oh boy.


Disclaimer: I don't own TWD or any of its characters, I just like torturing them... apparently ;)

23. Chapter 23 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 11] Liked (5255 words)

A/N: Well here we are at Chapter 23, and the countdown is on to the finale!! (of this) Did we all enjoy the Caryl episode? I'm still on a Caryl high which has given me some of my mojo back so yay!

Thank you to everyone who has followed and enjoyed this story for what it is... You know who you are and you shall be rewarded for your undying loyalty and support and I love you all.

Haters gon' hate ;)

Disclaimer: TWD and its characters do not belong to me. I belong to them. No copyright intended blah blah blah.

24. Chapter 24 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 11] Liked (4931 words)

A/N: Chapter 24 you guys! I hope we're all staying positive on the run up to the MSF... I don't wanna have to smack any botties for negativity! Anyway, I should warn you this chapter may make you laugh, cry, cheer, whatever. Maybe all 3 ;) As for the phone call that takes place in this chapter, I would do the exact same. PM me if you get confused but it was defo a point of discussion for myself and my bestie/beta Kaoscraze82. (She will probs smack MY bottie for ignoring her advice on this one but meh... I get to be norty at least ONCE!) Anyway, enjoy and I'll see you on the other side!

Disclaimer: TWD and its characters belong to Kirkman, AMC etc etc and none of this is intended to infringe copyright... just your feelings!

25. Chapter 25 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 7] Liked (4208 words)

A/N: OUCH! Well how was that for a MSF? I have mixed emotions about it. But those are for another day. Sigh. Anyway, did we all enjoy the last chapter? This one is mixed angst/fluff/comfort but I think some of you will be pleased ;) I've noticed quite a few new readers recently so welcome and glad you seem to be enjoying! And to my band of loyal 'regulars' thank you for letting me fill your heads with my Caryl ramblings - LET ME LOVE YOU ALL! We are coming to the final few chapters my loves, but fear not... these two (and Sophia!) will be back! I also have *ideas* for other fics so watch this space! Anyway, enough of my babbling... Chapter 25! As per, happy to answer any questions you may have...

Disclaimer: TWD and its characters are property of Kirkman, AMC, blah blah BLAAAH!

26. Chapter 26 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 13] Liked (5765 words)

A/N: Hello all! How is everyone coping with hiatus? I know, I know it sucks but don't worry, it's only til Feb! 

Apologies for this being late and for anyone who was concerned for my wellbeing. I didn't intend to cause a panic, but thank you for your concern, you guys are sweet. It's been super stressy/busy at work and in real life with the mad Christmas rush and all. That and I have been struggling a little trying to keep ahead of time with these last few chapters which is why I had about 15 written before I even posted Chapter 1! I knew somehow that this was a possibility and lo and behold, I'm starting to panic!

Anyway, Chapter 26. One of the very first scenes I wrote for Embers believe it or not, waaaay back in February of this year! Inspired by a Carrie Underwood song, which made me cry the first time I heard it, because it made me think of these two. Yes, I know I am PATHETIC. It's different from what I originally wrote, but the way the story has turned out would have made it look weird. So, minor tweaks and voila! I hope you like it.

Disclaimer: TWD and its characters are property of Kirkman, AMC and so on. No copyright intended. 

 

27. Chapter 27 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 9] Liked (4450 words)

A/N:

In the words of Randy Quaid in Independence Day, “Hello boys… I’m baaaaack!”

Happy New Year one and all, hope you had a lovely time. Apologies for my absence. A busy festive period at work, followed by a depression of sorts re Christmas wrapping and stressing myself out to the point of drinking a whole bottle of chocolate Baileys in one evening, then coupled with various annoyances which I will try not to go into… have been the cause of it.

 I have loved bringing Embers to life and even I suppose the tearing out my hair, the constant re-writes, editing, re-editing then going back to what I already had, and the emotional wringer I have put both myself and my good friend kaoscraze through trying to make it what it is. The last few chapters however have really hit me hard. I started this story in February last year, and I’m not kidding when I say it has taken over my life. Making it believable, making sure everyone is as much in character as possible and not having them say/do stuff I can’t ever imagine them saying or doing, has been a task. This is my first *serious* multi chapter fic and I had 15 chapters written and ready to go before I even posted, but putting out a chapter a week eventually caught up with me and prompted me to take a much needed break and relieve some of my stress.

I can’t churn out 5 chapters of a story a week… I can’t even churn out one most weeks! I need time to think through every detail of how something is going to play out and whether it’s even going to work, and of late ideas have been thin on the ground and I guess I just let it get to me. I’ve had to give my dear NL a wide berth and get my head straight while I try to finish it. I can’t promise once a week updates right now but I will try my very hardest. I’m almost at the finish line; I think I just let myself get too stressed out. Let’s hope I can run across it instead of crashing!!

 

Disclaimer: TWD and all its characters are property of Kirkman, AMC yadda yadda.

Disclaimer 2: I missed you. *snugs*

28. Chapter 28 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 8] Liked (3654 words)

A/N: Well lads and lasses not long to go now until 5B, are we all excited? Hoping we get some awesome Caryl moments in the coming episodes.

Sorry this update has taken so long. As I'm sure you're aware I'm still trying to get over a bout of illness/depression/anxiety/whatever the heck you wanna call it so writing hasn't exactly been forthcoming. That and my friend is expecting a baby and quite frankly he just doesn't want to come out and play! And with work stress on top of all that I've been a right wee misery guts! But thank you to all of you who have had a kind word and generally cheered me up when I've needed it. Special thanks has to go to my best bud Kaoscraze82 because she genuinely has no idea how much she rocks. You're always there for me Em and I know it's not easy and you must want to choke me sometimes, so thank you!

Anyway, been sitting on this chapter for a while and I think it's as finished as it's ever gonna be so here you go. It's a little fluffy but I'm past caring. These two deserve some fluff after what theyve been through.

Keep the fab updates coming btw guys some awesome stories around just now!

Disclaimer: I don't own TWD or any of its characters.

29. Chapter 29 by Equuleus86 [Reviews - 18] Liked (3868 words)

A/N: Well dear readers, what can I say? What indeed except thank you to each and every one of you who has followed this story from the beginning and those we've picked up along the way. I know that during the writing process I've laughed at myself as well as cried, and I can only hope to have evoked the same emotions in you too. Our favourite couple have come full circle, so this is where we say Adieu for the time being.

Big thank you must go to my amazing beta and even more amazing friend Kaoscraze82. She has been my rock through this and RL issues more recently and I couldn't ask for a better friend. She's truly amazing and her knowledge and understanding of Caryl has been an eyeopener for me, and instrumental in telling this story.

If this wee tale was a movie, the soundtrack would include songs by Lady Antebellum, Carrie Underwood, The Killers and Nickelback. Just FYI... PM me if you're really that interested to know which ones ha!

Anyway, enough babbling! I need to find a stream for this episode! Enjoy my loves!

Disclaimer: I don't own TWD or any of its characters.