[Reviews - 189] Liked
Past Featured StorySummary:

AU: No walkers; Carol Peletier meets a plumber named Daryl Dixon.


Rated: E
Categories: Alternate Universe
Characters: Andrea Harrison, Carol Peletier, Daryl Dixon, Glenn Rhee, Lori Grimes, Merle, Rick Grimes
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Adult Language, Child Abuse, Sexual Situations
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes
Word count: 119965 Read: 17404
Published: January 11, 2015 Updated: September 04, 2015



Print or Download Story: Printer Microsoft Word ePub eBook
Story Notes:

As suggested by a USS Caryl prompt based on MMB's RL experience with a plumber named Darryl Dickson.

1. Chapter 1:The Color Purple by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 11] Liked (2171 words)

The chapter in which Caryl "meets cute" but with hints of more serious complications to come.

First posted on ff.net. Moved here by request with a few edits.

2. Chapter 2: Carolina Wren by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 4] Liked (2971 words)

In an AU it's an interesting exercise not letting our characters get too OOC without all of the background and canon circumstances of the ZA to use as character development.

Hope you enjoy the others from TWD that we know and love (or hate, LOL) who pop up in this chapter as Daryl and Carol find out that they have even more in common than they suspected.

3. Chapter 3: A Simple Man by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 9] Liked (3701 words)

The unholy alliance of Phillip Blake and Ed Peletier continues to cause problems for Carol, and Daryl gets drawn into the conflict.

 

4. Chapter 4: Force Majeure by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 8] Liked (5112 words)

Carol, Daryl and friends deal with the aftermath of the fire and the new complications that arise as a result.

 

5. Chapter 5: The Plumber by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (4522 words)

Daryl and Caryl try to come to terms with their respective dangerous situations and we finally learn the circumstances surrounding Sophia's death.

6. Chapter 6: Unacceptable Losses by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 8] Liked (3955 words)

A little bit of background on why Daryl and Rick are such good friends as everyone gathers to help he and Carol.

7. Chapter 7: The Missing Man by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 6] Liked (3137 words)

The Grimes household gears up for the coming battle against the forces arrayed against Daryl and Carol, who gets a more formal introduction to Merle after Lori has a little show down with the elder Dixon brother.

Thanks for the continued interest in this story! The reviews have been so kind I'm bursting my buttons!

8. Chapter 8: The Richest Man in King County by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3745 words)

Daryl and Carol's friends and family meet to discuss what they can do to help the couple.

9. Chapter 9: I'm Easy by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 9] Liked (3855 words)

Daryl and Carol have some alone time in the hay mow until an emergency calls them into action and we find out a bit more about Daryl's past.

10. Chapter 10: The Fine Art of Breaking Eggs by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 7] Liked (6734 words)

A bit of a longer chapter; first part Daryl's POV, second, Carol's of the same night and morning after including time stamped flashbacks. Some fall out from Daryl's arrest.

Sweet Smut warning.

11. Chapter 11: Every Rose Has Its Thorn by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 9] Liked (4638 words)

Daryl defends his decisions about Carol to Rick and Merle while the woman in question heads out to meet the psychiatrist hired by Andrea.

A secret late night rendezvous brings our Caryl closer together in an unexpected way.

12. Chapter 12: Demons by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (4858 words)

We pick up immediately after Carol and Daryl found something unexpected under the sod over Sophia's grave and some familiar faces show up at the cemetery.

Slight smut warning.

13. Chapter 13: Appearances by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 10] Liked (4533 words)

Carol and Daryl prepare to face the false accusations against them and discover some important truths beneath outward appearances.

Trigger warnings: Domestic abuse and implied child abuse.

14. Chapter 14: She's Not There by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3385 words)

Daryl's hearing on the arson charges begins.

15. Chapter 15: Sense & Sensibility by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 6] Liked (4560 words)

Rick gets some sound advice about Caryl from an unlikely source while Daryl's allies are forced to move quickly to protect him.

Note: There are time stamps on certain sections because several things are happening at the same time in this chapter.

16. Chapter 16: The Inside Man by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 7] Liked (5621 words)

Carol faces her memories and fears with Daryl and Michonne's help, Phillip Blake is none too happy with his minions failure to find the couple and their allies' plan to investigate Peletier Packaging begins.

A bit of sweet smut at the end.

Trigger warning: some in character racist language.

17. Chapter 17: Burning Lies by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 7] Liked (3933 words)

Daryl and Carol discover something unexpected that will change their lives and the task force looking into Phillip Blake gets a break.


18. Chapter 18: Honor Thy Father by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 4] Liked (7298 words)

We explore the complicated relationships of fathers and sons through a series of flashbacks.

Warning: racist in character language.

My head canon casting: Travis Grimes = an older Robert Taylor, the actor who plays Sheriff Walt Longmire on Longmire; for Tom Dixon, a reader suggested Ed Harris in a flat top buzz cut like in Apollo 13 & I could see it.

19. Chapter 19: The Facts of Life by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (4189 words)

Travis and Sarah Grimes find out about Daryl's new situation and get more than they bargained for when they go to confront him about his relationship with Carol.

Thank you all faithful readers!  I appreciate hearing from you so much!

20. Chapter 20: White Linen by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 3] Liked (4270 words)

Sarah and Carol have a pointed discussion as they get to know each other upstairs, at the same time Daryl and Travis hash things out down in the underground shelter (the previous chapter).

We begin with a dream and a flashback.

 

21. Chapter 21: Strays by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3724 words)

Carol and Daryl face challenges on two fronts, the truth of his parentage and the arrival of Phillip Blake to the Greene farm.

22. Chapter 22: Light as a Feather by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3646 words)

With all of their hidden agendas, lies and secrets, Merle Dixon and Phillip Blake each have important meetings with people to whom they'd rather not speak.

Note: Important developments here in relation to them, but no Carol and Daryl appearance in this chapter, just so you know & aren't waiting for it. We'll get back to them in the next chapter.

Warning: Racist in character language, allusions to child and spousal physical abuse and the sport hunting of animals.

23. Chapter 23: Revelations by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 4] (2673 words)

Hello! Thanks for hanging in there with this one. The action continues with the start of the raids on Blake's enterprises and more hidden truths come to light.

24. Chapter 24: Cat's Paw by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3290 words)

The "cat's paw theory" borrows from an old fable in which a conniving monkey convinces a cat to reach into a fire to get roasting chestnuts. The cat is duped, burns its paw, and the monkey enjoys the chestnuts with no harm.

The question in this chapter is, who's the monkey and who's the cat?

Note: Begins immediately after the events in the previous chapter.

Trigger Warning: In character racist & sexist language.

25. Chapter 25: Family Matters by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3000 words)

The fallout from Tom Dixon's arrest and the truth of Daryl's parentage continues. 

It's been about a month since I posted the last chapter of this, so thanks for hanging in there with me. Hooray for Spring Break & time to write!

26. Chapter 26: Chekov’s Gun and Schrödinger’s Cat by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 4] Liked (3271 words)

Welcome back!  One of my goals was to finish this one over the summer; I'm running out of summer, so let's get to it. This is the first of three planned chapters to wrap up the story.

The raid on Blake's house continues and the hostage situation at the Grimes farm intensifies.

27. Chapter 27: You just need to breathe. by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 7] Liked (2968 words)

We go inside the Grimes house and find out how the hostages are faring and then check in with a very worried Carol at the safe house.

28. Chapter 28: Working Class Hero by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 6] Liked (3042 words)

The standoff at the Grimes’ farm comes to a head with a surprise...

29. Chapter 29: Forgiveness by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 11] Liked (4496 words)

Daryl and Carol try to understand Ellie's actions of 27 years ago.

30. Chapter 30: Pennies from Heaven by darylsdiva1 [Reviews - 4] Liked (2667 words)

This is a just a little bonus chapter for a couple of readers who felt I left a plot point dangling.