[Reviews - 459] Liked
Past Featured StorySummary:

Massively AU, not zombies but alien invaders. Both Daryl and Carol are members of an underground organization working to get rid of the oppressors and are paired in a mind meld team for missions. Rating for extreme violence in chapters 6 and 12, please stay away from these if this is a trigger for you!


Rated: E
Categories: Alternate Universe
Characters: Carol Peletier, Daryl Dixon, Glenn Rhee, Hershel Greene, Jim, Merle, Rick Grimes, Shane Walsh
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst
Warnings: Adult Language, Child Abuse, Torture, Violence
Series: None
Chapters: 37 Completed: Yes
Word count: 99681 Read: 13792
Published: January 31, 2015 Updated: August 15, 2015



Print or Download Story: Printer Microsoft Word ePub eBook
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Prologue - On the brink by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 31] Liked (957 words)

So far, Carol and Daryl know little more but each others' names - but the terrorist organization working on liberating Earth from the alien invaders is now pairing them for missions during which their minds will become one. Will it work out?

2. First Contact by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 11] Liked (1695 words)

They approach this very differently - he sticks with not giving away anything about himself, and not just for safety, while she loves to learn more about her guides, and let them learn more about herself. Worlds collide.

3. Deception by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 9] Liked (2493 words)

We learn more about Daryl's life and his private relationships - and of course, he would never want her to know any of this, because he is related to a cop who collaborates with the Feina.

4. Words of wisdom by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 7] Liked (2656 words)

Daryl gets some advice from his mentor who has had to break up all of Carol's previous links because she tends to form close bonds with her guides.

5. Through your eyes by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 8] Liked (1615 words)

More mind meld as they practise for their mission, and some Carol background - get the tissues ready.

6. Nightmares by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 7] Liked (2372 words)

Please read this chapter with extreme caution. Extreme, graphic violence, domestic abuse, PTSD.

The block at the start in italics is a dream, but a very vivid one, and reflects an actual attack that she suffered.

The following block is her immediate reaction to the dream. If you are triggered by descriptions like this, please be safe and stay away from this chapter.

Carol is thrown back to her past and suffers a horrible night. Little does she know that she is sharing it.

7. Ready to go by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 16] Liked (2766 words)

This one should be safe reading for everyone again - the one before this is not essential to understanding the story. We all know what she has suffered.

In this one, Hershel learns if they both agree to being linked as partners for a mission, and he tells Daryl to behave.

8. Prying eyes by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 13] Liked (2981 words)

Here we go - their first day on an active mission together, and she gets to go into the heart of darkness right away! Enjoy!

9. Insights by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 16] Liked (2588 words)

Carol gets a hint of something about Daryl that he doesn’t want her to know, while Daryl discovers that their links goes much deeper already than he had assumed.

10. Progress report by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 12] Liked (2695 words)

Carol out for their mission, driving herself so they get the job done as quickly as possible, and Daryl still holding her at bay despite her attempts to get closer to him. He can’t resist her charm completely, though, and does allow her to learn stuff and things about him - even though some of it is accidental. Also, we meet someone we’d rather not have met.

11. In the stillness of the night by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 11] Liked (2940 words)

Carol returns home after completing a part of their mission at night and dreams about Sophia, again unaware that she is sharing the dream with Daryl through their subconscious bond.

12. Terror by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 16] Liked (3537 words)

Here, too, I need to ask everyone who is triggered by mentions and graphic descriptions of child abuse, violence and PTSD to PLEASE BE SAFE AND STAY AWAY FROM THE PARAGRAPH IN ITALICS as well as the block following it down to the next .-. separator where Carol's POV starts.

Daryl has a nightmare about his childhood and his time as an agent, sharing it with Carol for the first time.

13. Close encounters by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 14] Liked (2713 words)

Five days into their mission, Carol has a close call with Fate and spies something unexpected from the corner of her eye that has her worried for her safety. Daryl contacts Hershel that night because of an emergency.

14. Desperation by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 11] Liked (2538 words)

Daryl confesses to Hershel that he left Carol alone during a potentially dangerous situation. Hershel decides to pull them both off the mission and contacts a friend to ask him to take over with his team.

15. Joining forces by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 14] Liked (2730 words)

Rick and Glenn feel uncomfortable about taking over this mission and get back to Tyreese, requesting that they at least be paired up with the cell that used to work on this before them. Ty contacts Hershel to forward their request.

For Suka. :-)

16. Where were you? by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 13] Liked (3787 words)

Will Hershel and Daryl find Carol? If they do, will she be willing to continue the mission with a second team?

17. Not alone by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 14] Liked (3048 words)

I would like to dedicate this to my regular reviewers on this story as I enjoy your feedback so immensely and really appreciate you giving this entirely new spin on our favorite couple a try. Here's to all of you making this a fun ride, I hope you'll enjoy!

Daryl learns who the guide for the backup team is ...

18. Scare by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 13] Liked (4012 words)

Three more days into their reconnaissance mission, Daryl meets with Hershel again, but Merle drops in on their meeting. Daryl learns something extremely alarming from him.

For vickih - you know why. :-)

19. Change in plans by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 12] Liked (2775 words)

And here it is - the big plan which I actually had no intention of including when I started this. And guess who they want for it?

20. Unexpected delay by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 13] Liked (3273 words)

Carol gets delayed on her way to the Feina headquarters.

21. Impromptu by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 10] Liked (2473 words)

Daryl setting out for the Feina compound, lots of people arriving at the hotel simultaneously, and Carol getting payback.

22. Family ties by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 12] Liked (2714 words)

Carol wants to continue the mission and does her best to get away from Ed again quickly, who is dealt with by Merle and Shane. Daryl is on his way to the compound.

23. Power up by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 9] Liked (2735 words)

Sorry, no more summaries from here on out - no spoilers ... ;-)

24. Whisper on the wind by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 8] Liked (2689 words)

A huge shoutout to Rodgerse who reviewed this after work at half past eleven at night so I could post it for everone waiting. Thank you all for your patience!

25. Set you on fire by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 11] Liked (3086 words)

26. Bad company by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 7] Liked (2587 words)

We start learning what happened to Daryl - and I'm afraid that this one really gives away that I am not a fan of Rick. Like - at all. Sorry.

27. Not alone again by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 15] Liked (2752 words)

You have Munchkin to thank for this because she asked for it. (For the chapter, not the content ... I think nobody asked for the content ...)

28. Encounters by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 8] Liked (1901 words)

Will everyone who is still inside make it out?

29. Looking for someone by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 7] Liked (1672 words)

30. I will find you by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 8] Liked (2286 words)

LAH asked for it. ;-) (Again, chapter, not content ... )

31. Blood and ashes by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 12] Liked (2818 words)

32. Save you by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 11] Liked (2208 words)

33. A single ray by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 16] Liked (2407 words)

34. Picking up the pieces by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 12] Liked (2973 words)

35. Coming to terms by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 10] Liked (3061 words)

Please, everyone who has come this far wtih me, bear with me a little longer. This is not the final chapter as there are still some open ends that I want dealt with before we get to that. Some characters here have unresolved issues, and also, an anvil has been mentioned in the reviews. Well, it's not an anvil, but ... Enjoy! :-)

36. Reunion by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 16] Liked (1362 words)

We're with Carol for something she has been longing for - let's see her happy here. :-)

Another loose end dealt with. 36 down, one to go - this is not the last one yet. ;-)

37. Epilogue by lovesdaryl [Reviews - 26] Liked (5786 words)

This is it. The final chapter. Thank you all so much for this wonderful ride - enjoy the end!