[Reviews - 37] Liked
Summary:

The three communities come together in response to a medical crisis that nobody thought they would ever have a chance against after the turn.  This story is very heavy on angst and drama.  Triggers for major health crisis, life discussion, end of life discussions.  While this is an angsty story, remember that I love Caryl and want a happy ending.


Rated: M
Categories: Alternate Universe
Characters: Carol Peletier, Daryl Dixon, Dr. Denise Cloyd, Dr. Emmett Carson (Saviors), Dr. Harlan Carson (Hilltop), Glenn Rhee, Jerry, Maggie Greene Rhee, Michonne Hawthorne, Morgan Jones, Paul "Jesus" Rovia, Rick Grimes, Rosita Espinosa, Tara Chambler
Genres: Angst, Drama
Warnings: None
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: Yes
Word count: 16959 Read: 6355
Published: January 26, 2018 Updated: February 02, 2019



Print or Download Story: Printer Microsoft Word ePub eBook
Story Notes:

This story started as an anonymous prompt on another site directly to me.  The prompt was adament that it be ZA.  While it is certainly more beliveable to occur non ZA, I decided to tackle the prompt as is.

Thank you to the members who reached out to me in response to medical questions.  Especially greatful to LovesDarylDixon for all her research on the medical proceedures and answering my question on how this could be possible in the ZA universe.  I am ever thankful for your assistance!

1. Chapter 1 by Amwaaker [Reviews - 5] Liked (1490 words)

Yes, Glenn, Denise, and both Dr. Carsons are alive in this world.  I have a hard time writing a story without Glenn in it, so he lives.  

2. Chapter 2 by Amwaaker [Reviews - 4] Liked (957 words)

This chapter is both vital and a filler.  It gives the reader a backstory on Carol's situation and why she made her choice.

3. Chapter 3 by Amwaaker [Reviews - 1] Liked (894 words)

This chapter focuses on the medical pow pow Denise planned.  

4. Chapter 4 - Unexpected by Amwaaker [Reviews - 4] Liked (1151 words)

This chapter was so much fun to write.  In my head cannon, Daryl talks more - especially when it comes to what is happening now.  Also in my head, Rick and Daryl still have a bond that is strong.  Eugene is a hoot to write.  I hear his voice when I read what I write.  Enjoy some unexpected planning and levity amongst man tears.

5. Chapter 5 - Dipped In Blood and Ink by Amwaaker [Reviews - 4] Liked (1219 words)

This chapter fills the reader in on what happened at the Sanctuary.  Some surprising insights about Dwight's motivations.  Daryl is cautious of Carol's new ally.

6. Chapter 6 - Carol's Plans by Amwaaker [Reviews - 2] (1022 words)

Daryl and Rick come back from outside the walls.  Upon hearing of Dwight's abilities, Carol starts making plans.

7. Art and Booze by Amwaaker [Reviews - 0] Liked (807 words)

I know I promised the arrival of Dwight - but I am putting that off until next chapter in favor of some drunken levity from the ladies.  Enjoy!

8. Chapter 8 - The Morning After by Amwaaker [Reviews - 1] (1655 words)

For those of you who have read other stories of mine, you know that I like to occassionally slip in a dialogue free chapter.  They always seem to be fan pleasers.  I wanted to do so with this, and for the most part, I succeeded.  I however could not resist adding one ending piece of dialogue (2 sentences) which I feel really gives the chapter a great ending punch.  

 

This chapter takes place the morning after the girls night where the ladies drew on Carol.  Off page, Daryl and Rick returned with Dwight.

9. Chapter 9 - Delivering the News by Amwaaker [Reviews - 4] Liked (1486 words)

This takes place immediately after Dwight wakes up in the clinic to find Maggie in the room with him. Maggie is taking Dwight to see Carol and Daryl and deliver the news.

10. Chapter 10 - No Surprises by Amwaaker [Reviews - 2] Liked (1263 words)

This chapter is a mish mash. It delves into Dwight's past experiences, and how he feels Daryl needs to address his issues with what is happening to Carol. We also get to witness Dwight drawing the tattoo sketch. URL at the end will take you to a picture of the tattoo Carol is getting. Thank you eternally to my very talented friend Charity Hopkins for drawing this for me. She is super talented at so many kids of art. I am blessed to know her and humbled that she would take the time to do me a favor for this story.

11. Chapter 11 - Blood Oaths by Amwaaker [Reviews - 1] Liked (1057 words)

It’s Carol’s surgery day.  An unexpected complication may end any hope for a future for Daryl and Carol.

12. Chapter 12-Surgical Visits With The Dead by Amwaaker [Reviews - 0] Liked (2524 words)

Chapter Summary:

Carol’s surgery continues.  Carol’s experiences in italics.  Loved having some long lost TWD family here.

A/N: Thank you to a reader who noticed a slight plot hole in this chapter.  The edits have been made to this chapter now.  Thank you again.

 

13. Chapter 13 - Gone by Amwaaker [Reviews - 3] Liked (633 words)

This is a mini chapter that goes solely into Daryl’s feelings post-surgery.  The next chapter will probably be the last chapter.  Enjoy!

14. Chapter 14 - Rebirth (the final chapter) by Amwaaker [Reviews - 2] Liked (801 words)