[Reviews - 61] Liked
Summary:

A trip to visit Lori's newly inherited farmhouse in Shropshire, England turns into anything but a typical English Country Dream. How will they handle the Z/A in a strange country thousands of miles from home?


Rated: E
Categories: Headcanon, Alternate Universe, Family
Characters: Beth Greene, Carl Grimes, Carol Peletier, Daryl Dixon, Glenn Rhee, Hershel Greene, Lori Grimes, Maggie Greene Rhee, Michonne Hawthorne, Original Character(s), Rick Grimes, Sophia Peletier, Theodore 'T-Dog' Douglas
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Dramedy, Hurt/Comfort, Romance
Warnings: Adult Language, Child Abuse, Domestic Abuse (Implied), Sexual Situations, Violence
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No
Word count: 34508 Read: 1206
Published: January 29, 2021 Updated: February 23, 2021



Print or Download Story: Printer Microsoft Word ePub eBook
Story Notes:

Adding this note to say the next update will be soon. My M.E has relapsed and I'm struggling. I am working on chapter 13, it's part written but it's a really slow process due to my low energy levels and brain fog.  But as I was updating so frequently, I wanted people to know why there's a delay and that I am working on it.

 

This is my first multi chapter fic. It's set in my home county of Shropshire, England. 

To avoid confusion on differences between UK & USA - nods her head means yes. Shakes her head means no. I spell words the English way eg. Colour not color.

I plan to update once or twice a week.

 

Thankyou for reading.

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.� The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.� No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Chapter 1 by ShellsCaryl [Reviews - 9] Liked (2729 words)

Trigger warning for descriptions of physical abuse against Carol and Sophia and also for Ed's interest in Sophia (nothing actually happens with that).  It's between the 2 rows of stars if you need to avoid.

The song Lori remembers is an English Folk Song called "English Country Garden". It was sang by Jimmy Rodgers in 1962 but versions of the tune go back as far as 1728. I remember singing it at school and it seemed perfect for this fic and my story title is a play on this song.

2. Chapter 2 by ShellsCaryl [Reviews - 5] Liked (2048 words)

We start to see a little bit of Carol and Daryl starting their friendship later in the chapter. I wanted to say, I know Lori isn't everyone's favourite character in the show and to assure you all that she isn't the focus of this story. But she is my catalyst character to get us where we need to be, so she will feature more in these first few chapters. We will be going Caryl centric soon though, I promise.

3. Chapter 3 by ShellsCaryl [Reviews - 5] Liked (2127 words)

4. Chapter 4 by ShellsCaryl [Reviews - 4] Liked (4318 words)

We finally arrive at the Farmhouse!

5. Chapter 5 by ShellsCaryl [Reviews - 4] Liked (1808 words)

Another chapter. I'll say sorry now for this chapter not having any Caryl content. This is Jean's letter to Lori. I decided to give it a chapter of its own, it seemed to fit better that way. 

Also, general spoiler warning for references to Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I know it's a really old show, but I thought I'd give it anyway.

So, without further ado, Everyone, meet Jean Hutchinson.

6. Chapter 6 by ShellsCaryl [Reviews - 4] Liked (2943 words)

I wanted to say that this fic is based in pretty much present time. It starts in June 2020. It's relevant to this chapter to know the year.

 

7. Chapter 7 by ShellsCaryl [Reviews - 5] Liked (2354 words)

We take a tour of the farm, Carol and Daryl bond further, and Sophia finds a new interest.

8. Chapter 8 by ShellsCaryl [Reviews - 5] Liked (3472 words)

The weapons situation is addressed and we get to meet some new arrivals.

9. Chapter 9 by ShellsCaryl [Reviews - 4] (3395 words)

Enjoy!

10. Chapter 10 by ShellsCaryl [Reviews - 5] Liked (2318 words)

11. Chapter 11 by ShellsCaryl [Reviews - 4] (2533 words)

A new chapter. Sorry, it's a day or so later than normal. My M.E decided to flare up and made me sleep loads. When I was awake, I couldn't focus enough to get it finished and edit it.

 

Anyhow, we meet our new arrival today. Without giving anything away before you read it, I wanted to say - Yes their backstory and circumstances are different to on the show. I'll explain why I made that choice in the chapter notes at the end. I hope you enjoy the update.

12. Chapter 12 by ShellsCaryl [Reviews - 7] (4463 words)

A new chapter. This chapter is probably best described as an overview, or highlights of the week following Michonne's arrival. I wanted to move the timeline along a little. Also, there's some Caryl goodness towards the end of the chapter for you to look forward to, which I hope everyone will enjoy.

Finally, there's a trigger warning on this chapter for references to and descriptions of domestic violence. It's contained within one paragraph and I've clearly marked it with the words "Trigger Warning" and "Trigger Warning Ends", for anyone who needs to skip past that bit.