[Reviews - 776] Liked
Summary:

Daryl is temporary librarian at an exclusive private college in Georgia. Carol is a professor of English Literature at the same college, with a daughter in her second year of study. 

30 MAY--no chapter today, I'm sorry--I meant to get one up but writing has proved difficult the last two days. Tomorrow morning I am having eye surgery, and will likely struggle with a screen for a bit. Please know I'll be using all available eye energy to write ;) I'll update as soon as I can.


Rated: E
Categories: Alternate Universe
Characters: Aaron, Carol Peletier, Daryl Dixon, Ed Peletier, Lance Hornsby, Noah, Sophia Peletier
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort, Romance
Warnings: Adult Language, Child Abuse, Domestic Abuse (Actual), Domestic Abuse (Implied), Sexual Situations, Violence
Series: None
Chapters: 61 Completed: Yes
Word count: 240894 Read: 24466
Published: March 01, 2023 Updated: June 15, 2023



Print or Download Story: Printer Microsoft Word ePub eBook
Story Notes:

Cross posted to AO3.

Carol and Daryl are the age they were during Carol's Kingdom years here, although, as you will see, their characters are shaped by the lives they have lived in my universe and not by canonical events.

Manwiller College is a figment of my imagination. Milton is a real place, and the wealthiest town in Georgia. It has an Arby's. Hickory Flat is also a real town, 9 or so miles away from Milton, less affluent and older than the other town. I have taken liberties with some of the college details while trying to conform broadly to the results of my research on US private colleges. If you pick up any errors in terminology or academic structure, please let me know :) Our system in South Africa is different to the American system.

I started researching academic library structure / hierarchy, and stopped. Dale is a device allowing me to take liberties with that, too. I tried various other characters in his role, because I just wrote a fic featuring Dale, but I kept seeing him in my head. He will not be the same as he was in Signs & Wonders, except in his essential Daleness, and I also don't know how much he'll appear in this story.

As usual, I am starting this with only the vaguest idea of where it's going, but I hope you enjoy it, and will give it a try. Thank you for reading this far :)

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Chapter 1 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 17] Liked (4323 words)

My intention is for this fic to be somewhat less dark than Signs & Wonders, but I'm not promising anything because I just go with the flow. Please note my admirable intentions, however. I'm trying.

I have rated this E, but it won't be E for a while yet, I don't think. It's a pre-emptive rating. The warnings are also pre-emptive, mostly, and may change as I write.

I will likely be updating slightly less often than daily for this fic, because I have more work at the moment than I did in January, but momentum is important to me so I hope not to let more than a day or so pass between chapters.

Thank you for reading, and please let me know if this universe interests you.

2. Chapter 2 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 13] Liked (3703 words)

Thank you for the encouraging reviews. Feeling my way into this.

3. Chapter 3 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 14] Liked (3761 words)

Thank you for the reviews, and for giving this story a try. I forgot to put in notes that the title is from the song of that name by Paul Simon.

I am away this weekend, so I might only reply to reviews late tomorrow or next week. Please know that they are greatly appreciated :)

4. Chapter 4 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 15] Liked (3737 words)

Thank you for the reviews! They made my weekend. 

Please note the rating and warnings for this story, and read with care.

5. Chapter 5 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 12] Liked (3927 words)

Thank you for reading, and for the reviews. I'm glad you're enjoying this one so far.

6. Chapter 6 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 14] Liked (3773 words)

Thank you for reading, and for the lovely reviews--I'm catching up on replies when this is posted!

7. Chapter 7 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 13] Liked (3944 words)

Sorry about the delay in posting. The laughable insanity of this week is continuing through the weekend, but I might, I hope, manage to post at some point. Thank you for the kind reviews, and for reading Heart

TW for passing mention of sexual assault.

8. Chapter 8 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 14] Liked (4013 words)

Thank you for reading, and for the reviews and messages. It is a privilege to be able to do something I love so much and be encouraged to carry on.

This chapter is quite bleak until the very end. Consider yourselves forewarned.

TW for mention of sexual assault, and for ableism.

 

9. Chapter 9 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 13] Liked (4445 words)

Thank you for the reviews on the last chapter, and for understanding Carol, and for your patience. It feels like there's a lot of quiet conversation in this fic generally, so I hope that's your thing...

10. Chapter 10 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 12] Liked (3991 words)

Thank you for reading, and for the kind reviews :) I love writing this story so much that it feels like self-indulgence (and probably is). Knowing that others are enjoying it means a lot.

11. Chapter 11 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 12] Liked (3979 words)

Thank you for the lovely reviews! This one was tricky to write (it was just a bad day), and I kept feeling like I was repeating myself, so if anything jumps out at you please let me know. Work incoming tomorrow, but it's a four-day weekend here (Monday and Tuesday off) so I'm hoping to manage my deadline and also a bunch of chapters between now and Tuesday. Thank you for reading.

12. Chapter 12 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 14] Liked (3788 words)

Thank you for the reviews, and for your impassioned hatred for Will Dixon ;) I'm racing my laptop battery so I can't reply tonight, but I will tomorrow or this weekend.

Please note the warnings for this story.

Antibiotics can interfere with the contraceptive pill and cause it to fail.

13. Chapter 13 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 12] Liked (3869 words)

Thank you for reading, and for the reviews, which make me smile and make me think. 

14. Chapter 14 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 13] Liked (3758 words)

Thank you for reading, and for the reviews. Progress is being made, it's just extremely slow...

15. Chapter 15 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 16] Liked (3992 words)

Thank you for reading, and for the kind reviews and messages. I appreciate them a lot, and they always make me smile.

This chapter is for the Maple Wonder, briefly emerged from hibernation. 

16. Chapter 16 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 16] Liked (3869 words)

I thought I'd get this chapter up this morning, but there was so much talking that it took FOREVER to edit. Thank you for your patience, and thank you for the encouraging reviews Heart

Warnings apply. Please read them.

17. Chapter 17 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 9] Liked (4313 words)

This chapter was very frustrating to write--more in the end notes. Please attend to the warnings before reading.

Thank you for the thoughtful and generous reviews Heart

18. Chapter 18 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 11] Liked (4380 words)

Thank you for the encouraging reviews, and for reading.

19. Chapter 19 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 12] Liked (4127 words)

Thank you for reading, and for the reviews. I appreciate you all, and the excuse you give me to keep writing.

20. Chapter 20 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 13] Liked (3628 words)

Racing my laptop battery today. Thank you for reading and reviewing! 

21. Chapter 21 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 9] Liked (3951 words)

I was looking forward to writing this chapter so much, even though I had no real idea what would be happening in it when I began. I love a change of scenery. Thank you for the lovely reviews, and for reading Heart

22. Chapter 22 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 16] Liked (4052 words)

This is going up super late thanks to loadshedding. There likely won't be a chapter tomorrow because my sleep deficit has reached a critical point ;) Thank you for reading, and for the reviews.

Not the greatest editing job on this one because it's half past midnight.

I'll catch up on review replies tomorrow Heart

23. Chapter 23 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 13] Liked (3951 words)

Thank you for reading Heart and for the lovely reviews.

Thank you, too, for all the support for this story on Twitter and in my DMs. I also heard from MT Heart on Tumblr recently that she has had some anons recommending the fic, and I want the posters to know she passes all the love on to me, and all of it is appreciated. 

24. Chapter 24 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 11] Liked (3546 words)

Thank you for the reviews, and for your patience for this chapter--I ran out of time yesterday. 

25. Chapter 25 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 12] Liked (3819 words)

Thank you for reading, and for posting reviews. They really make a huge difference to motivation and confidence.

This chapter feels a bit awkward to me in places because there was a lot of movement. 

26. Chapter 26 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 13] Liked (3444 words)

Thank you for the reviews. I'd hoped to get this up earlier today, but work interfered, and then the contents itself. 

Periodic reminder to heed the rating and the warnings for this story. Thank you.

27. Chapter 27 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 12] Liked (3831 words)

Thank you so much for the reviews and the messages Heart 

28. Chapter 28 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 9] Liked (3838 words)

Thank you for the reviews, and for waiting for this chapter. I hope you all enjoy the holiday weekend, and Easter if you celebrate it.

TW for an account of sexual assault.

29. Chapter 29 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 12] Liked (3713 words)

TALKING TALKING TALKING. Thank you for reading, and for the reviews Heart I know the last chapter was pretty upsetting, but I hope you enjoy this one.

30. Chapter 30 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 12] Liked (3779 words)

Thank you for reading, and for the lovely reviews, which brought me much joy. 

31. Chapter 31 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 12] Liked (4543 words)

Thank you for the reviews! I am as excited about Thanksgiving as you are. It will unfold over a few chapters.

32. Chapter 32 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 15] Liked (4487 words)

Thank you for reading and reviewing, for hating Ed and wishing harm upon him ;)

33. Chapter 33 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 11] Liked (3707 words)

This should have gone up hours ago, but it has been a day. Thank you for your patience, and thank you for the kindness and encouragement in your reviews Heart

I have updated the warnings for this story. Please check them again.

34. Chapter 34 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 13] Liked (3925 words)

Warnings apply to this chapter--please read them and read the chapter with care.

Thank you for the reviews, and I am sorry to have left you on a cliffhanger.

35. Chapter 35 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 13] Liked (3701 words)

Thank you for the reviews, and especially for the kindness regarding my family situation.

This chapter is basically people crying.

36. Chapter 36 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 14] Liked (3699 words)

Thank you for the lovely reviews and for your patience. Not much happening in this chapter--I've slowed everything down quite dramatically, but we'll move forward again soon.

37. Chapter 37 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 13] Liked (3633 words)

Thank you for the reviews, and for enjoying the slower chapters.

38. Chapter 38 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 16] Liked (3671 words)

Sorry about yesterday's cliffhanger! And thank you for reading and reviewing. I'm on a sleep deficit and it's late, so I will reply to reviews tomorrow, but please know that I appreciate them immensely.

39. Chapter 39 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 12] Liked (4722 words)

Thank you for your patience--I think I've made up the sleep deficit, and writing was a lot easier today than it has been for most of this week. Thank you for the kind reviews, and the interest. Some of you made me yell by predicting what was going to happen next ;)

40. Chapter 40 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 12] Liked (3941 words)

Editing late, so I'll reply to reviews when I post next. Tomorrow and / or Tuesday are busy work days, but I should post on one or the other.

Thank you for reading this far, and for your reviews and messages. Writing this is my therapy, and getting your feedback is such a wonderful and motivating bonus.

41. Chapter 41 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 17] Liked (3680 words)

Thank you for the kind reviews.

42. Chapter 42 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 12] Liked (4433 words)

Thank you so much for the condolences and the general loveliness in reviews. I appreciate them very very much.

43. Chapter 43 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 12] Liked (5289 words)

Thank you for reading, and for the reviews, which I appreciate enormously.

Trigger warning for this chapter for ableist language.

44. Chapter 44 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 13] Liked (4202 words)

Thank you so much for the reviews, which delighted me. The dialogue in this chapter required more thought than I anticipated, else I would have had it up a little sooner. 

45. Chapter 45 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 12] Liked (4560 words)

Thank you for the reviews on the last chapter--I am so glad you enjoyed it Heart This one was a little delayed, and I'm sorry for that.

46. Chapter 46 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 12] Liked (3616 words)

Thank you for reading, and for the reviews Heart

47. Chapter 47 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 14] Liked (4231 words)

Editing and posting from a coffee shop (loadshedding...) so I will likely reply to reviews later. Thank you for the feedback, and the encouragement, and sorry to have made you wait a day for this. Thank you for reading.

48. Chapter 48 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 10] Liked (3819 words)

Thank you for the reviews, and for reading, and for waiting. Next chapter will likely go up only on Friday, but I hope to be quicker over the weekend.

 

49. Chapter 49 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 12] Liked (4128 words)

Sorry for the extra day's delay! Stuff happened. And thank you for the reviews Heart

50. Chapter 50 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 11] Liked (3893 words)

Thank you for reading, and for the reviews. I'm racing loadshedding, so I might only reply tomorrow. Next chapter will go up Tuesday, because regrettably I have to do some work tomorrow.

51. Chapter 51 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 13] Liked (3844 words)

Thank you for reading, and for the reviews. They are more motivating than you know.

Please note the warnings for this story, and remember they apply by default.

52. Chapter 52 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 9] Liked (3870 words)

Thank you for the reviews and the messages, and for reading Heart

53. Chapter 53 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 11] Liked (4296 words)

Thank you for the reviews Heart and for sticking with this.

54. Chapter 54 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 10] Liked (3967 words)

Thank you for reading, and for the reviews, which bring me great joy and reassurance Heart If you're still reading, thank you for coming this far.

TW for sexual assault.

55. Chapter 55 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 13] Liked (4032 words)

Thank you for the reviews, lovely Carylers Heart

56. Chapter 56 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 14] Liked (3693 words)

This would have gone up earlier, but the family focused all their energy on interrupting me every five seconds. I appreciate the reviews--I know it must sound like I'm saying it out of habit at this point, but I'm not--they make a genuine and significant difference.

57. Chapter 57 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 14] Liked (3791 words)

30 MAY--no chapter today, I'm sorry--I meant to get one up but writing has proved difficult the last two days. Tomorrow morning I am having eye surgery, and will likely struggle with a screen for a bit. Please know I'll be using all available eye energy to write ;) I'll update as soon as I can.

Thank you for reading and reviewing.

58. Chapter 58 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 13] Liked (3635 words)

I am so excited to be posting. Thank you for your patience and for the kind reviews and well wishes. I am recovering from eye surgery, so I am slow at everything involving sight right now, and plagued by headaches, so I am posting but not replying to reviews today. Until I do, please know that I appreciate every one Heart

59. Chapter 59 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 11] Liked (3590 words)

We are very close to the end of this story, which makes me want to cry, but which is also a good thing. Thank you for the reviews, and the support on other platforms, and the patience for this chapter. I'll try and get the next one up a little more quickly!

60. Chapter 60 by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 13] Liked (3731 words)

This is the penultimate chapter, but I am going to call the last one an Epilogue because "61" is really going to bug me.

Thank you for the lovely reviews, and for reading.

61. Epilogue by Lighteneverything [Reviews - 15] Liked (3321 words)

Heart