[Reviews - 449] Liked
Past Featured StorySummary:

“As he’d learned as early on as the days he was just getting to know her, he couldn’t deny her much of anything.  And damn her for it” 

Follow Daryl and Carol through the events leading up to the battle against the Saviors, and watch as they fall in love amidst the chaos. 


Rated: M
Categories: Headcanon, Season 6, Season 7
Characters: Carol Peletier, Daryl Dixon, Maggie Greene Rhee, Michonne Hawthorne, Rick Grimes
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Hurt/Comfort, Romance
Warnings: Adult Language, Violence
Series: None
Chapters: 79 Completed: Yes
Word count: 276624 Read: 42104
Published: May 04, 2018 Updated: September 03, 2018



Print or Download Story: Printer Microsoft Word ePub eBook
Story Notes:

My attempt to Caryl-ify seasons 6-7, before going into my original content. There’s also some scenes that I based off of the Season 8 spoilers that we had at the time I was writing them, but other than that, I divert away from Season 8 completely. 

It’s canon-compliant from beginning of season 6 through the end of season 7.  There are a lot of instances where I add more scenes and tweak some of the plot lines.  There’s also instances where some of the dialogue from canon is tweaked to fit my story better.  The main reason for this is because I really wanted to get into these character’s heads and explore their emotions/motifs/reasons for their behavior and actions on the show. 

This is my first story so I’m a little nervous.  I’ve been working on this off and on for almost two years.  It’s pretty lengthy, but it’s completely written so I aim to update it daily.  I wanted to write the Caryl we all deserve and I’m excited to share it with the rest of you lovely Carylers!

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Prologue: Reflex by Caryler22 [Reviews - 11] Liked (755 words)

Here we go!

2. A's and W's by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (1428 words)

3. "You Don't Know" by Caryler22 [Reviews - 7] Liked (2892 words)

Thank you for the reviews!  I can't tell you how excited I am to keep this story rolling!

Flashbacks are in italics. 

4. A Familiar Flower by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (2042 words)

I had some spare time today so here's the next chapter!

5. Of Wolves and Monsters by Caryler22 [Reviews - 3] Liked (2374 words)

6. Conviction vs. Doubt by Caryler22 [Reviews - 4] Liked (2101 words)

7. Sea of Dead by Caryler22 [Reviews - 3] Liked (2625 words)

Thank you Subversivegrrl for the feedback!  I appreciate it!  Enjoy guys!

8. Masks and Walls by Caryler22 [Reviews - 6] Liked (2480 words)

9. Settling Down? by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (2784 words)

10. A List by Caryler22 [Reviews - 9] Liked (2717 words)

11. Trail by Caryler22 [Reviews - 6] Liked (2711 words)

12. Reaching, Searching by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3764 words)

13. This Weight We Carry by Caryler22 [Reviews - 9] Liked (2016 words)

Thanks for all of those reviews, they make me so happy!  Enjoy!

14. Goodbye by Caryler22 [Reviews - 4] Liked (3306 words)

Thanks you guys for the reviews!  I makes me so happy and gives me courage to keep posting!  

15. Out Here by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (2871 words)

Two chapters in one day! 

I know some are probably dreading the upcoming events, but I promise you it'll be okay.  Our girl thinks she's pretty certain, but I think deep down she's filled with uncertainty that she doesn't want to admit to. 

I hope no one's bummed enough to stop reading!  Thank you to all those leaving reviews! 

16. "Let Me Die" by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3891 words)

 

17. William Dixon by Caryler22 [Reviews - 4] Liked (3276 words)

**Trigger warning** - mentions of child abuse and graphic violence.  Please read with caution, I know that this episode messed some people up.  Take care of yourselves.

18. The Voice Inside My Head by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (2690 words)

Another Trigger warning for mentions of violence.  Thanks for hanging in there!

19. Brother by Caryler22 [Reviews - 3] Liked (3530 words)

Warning - Violence/mentions of violence.  

20. Go and Not Go by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (2501 words)

Okay I know that Ezekiel’s character is a little tainted right now with everything going on.  However, I really do like their relationship as friendship and I promise to keep it strictly platonic.    

And their conversation in 0702 is one of my favorite written dialogues from that mess of a season.   

Fear not Carylers, I stick to our ship only!

21. The Cookie Baker by Caryler22 [Reviews - 2] Liked (2866 words)

Thank you for all the reviews!  They make me so happy!

22. Discretion and Pomegranates by Caryler22 [Reviews - 3] Liked (3046 words)

23. A Call to Arms by Caryler22 [Reviews - 3] Liked (3142 words)

24. Rise by Caryler22 [Reviews - 3] Liked (2816 words)

So I wrote these next few chapters right at the beginning of the hiatus between 7a-7b.  Some of it had been based on the spoiler/speculation that we had at the time.  

The dialogue in some of the scenes have been changed but I also went back to add some of it in once the show came back on to air for the second half of season 7.  

 

25. Kings and Beasts by Caryler22 [Reviews - 4] Liked (2877 words)

I tweak the order of canon events a little.  Thank you so much for all your support!

26. Gone by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3072 words)

I change up some canon events here!  Hope you guys are still enjoying this!

27. A name by Caryler22 [Reviews - 7] Liked (3178 words)

28. Desired Solitude by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3420 words)

29. "You Left" by Caryler22 [Reviews - 8] Liked (3197 words)

Thank you all SOOO much for the reviews!  They are lovely!

30. Your Arms by Caryler22 [Reviews - 4] Liked (3535 words)

31. "So you were saved too, huh?" by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3006 words)

32. Toe in the Water by Caryler22 [Reviews - 6] Liked (2958 words)

Thanks for the reviews guys!  I'm glad everyone liked Daryl's little "realization" and I can say that we'll see more of these little kind of "realizations" for him later on in the story!  Here's the next one!

33. Recompense by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3120 words)

Here you go!  Second update for today!

34. One Way by Caryler22 [Reviews - 4] Liked (3712 words)

35. Embrace the Contradiction by Caryler22 [Reviews - 6] Liked (4636 words)

36. Defensive Strategies by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3591 words)

Just wanted to clarify that I had began writing this chapter just as the official trailer for season 8 come out.  This was roughly my speculation on what would happen based on not only those scenes but of the spoiler/filming specularion we had at that time.  (colored arm bands)

So even though this chapter has those scenes that you’ll recognize from that trailer, the storyline you’ll read here is still all my own.   

Thank you all for the reviews!

37. When a man loves a woman by Caryler22 [Reviews - 6] Liked (4300 words)

Before we continue I just wanted to give you guys a fair warning.   Yes, I give Caryl way more scenes together, scenes that actually show more progression in their relationship like we’ve always wanted, it does not mean that hard times for our duo are over.   

I know in fan fiction that it can be easier to read stories that are fluffy, or that serve as an escape from the harshness, (considering what’s happening on the show) but I love these characters so much and I want to respect them enough to come from a realistic standpoint. 

These two characters, lovely as they may be, are pretty f**** up, to put it bluntly.  And it’s something that the show has learned to completely ignore.  I don’t think the show touches upon PTSD nearly as much as it should and I wanted to tell that side of their story too because not only is it important to their characters, but it makes their development into a couple so much more real, compelling and inspirational.  

They won’t just face external threats, there will be tension/angst between them as well, but it leads to some much needed conversations!  It’s Caryl, nothing’s easy, but by the end, it’ll feel so much more earned and worth it.  (I love them just as much as you all do).

Okay enough of my babbling!  Sorry!  Enjoy!

38. Scent of Her by Caryler22 [Reviews - 8] Liked (3045 words)

Thank you to all those reading, and a special thank you to all those who leave reviews! 

Here's the next chapter.  A little gift I give to you at the end!  Wink

39. A First by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3232 words)

Here we go.  Get ready for a little fun shenanigans haha. 

40. Mothers by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3420 words)

41. One Step Forward, Two Steps Back by Caryler22 [Reviews - 10] Liked (3888 words)

Thanks for the reviews!  They make my day!  A ilttle angst coming up here...

42. Annandale by Caryler22 [Reviews - 4] Liked (4344 words)

43. Package Deal by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (4302 words)

44. Severance by Caryler22 [Reviews - 6] Liked (5036 words)

45. Two Matches and an Ally by Caryler22 [Reviews - 6] Liked (5034 words)

A slight warning for violence! 

46. "Hold On" by Caryler22 [Reviews - 4] Liked (5544 words)

Warning:  More violence in this chapter and it is more on the graphic side.  

47. Matching Scars by Caryler22 [Reviews - 6] Liked (3228 words)

48. Apologies by Caryler22 [Reviews - 6] Liked (4025 words)

49. Tolerance by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (4271 words)

Well I hope you guys aren’t tired of the Caryl talks, cause you have another one coming here.  I was just craving them and they were definitely overdue haha.

Enjoy!

50. Playing It Safe by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3634 words)

51. Dirty Blonde Hair by Caryler22 [Reviews - 7] Liked (4609 words)

Hi loves!  Right now fanfic is something I need more than ever and I hope and encourage writers who still have to muse and desire to keep writing and reading to do so!  Caryl is still the most beautiful ship on TV and it's all ours.  Now more than ever.

I know I'm a small author among many brilliant ones on here, and just one random, ordinary fan in this large fandom, but I hope that you guys are willing to stick with me on this to the end, and I hope that you don't feel the need to turn your back on true Caryl lovers here (unlike the moronic writers for the show).  Caryl is OURS and it always will be.

A big thank you to all my regular reviewers!!  You give me courage and motivation to keep posting and you all put a big smile on my face.  *hugs*

I hope you enjoy!  Caryl the fuck on!!

52. Walls Come Tumbling Down by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (4002 words)

Thanks for all the kind words and support!  I really do love how resilliant Carylers can be! 

Hope you like this next chapter.

53. Three Small Words by Caryler22 [Reviews - 8] Liked (3660 words)

54. By a Beach by Caryler22 [Reviews - 7] Liked (4339 words)

So I wouldn't have done this had it not been for everything that's been going on these past few days, but I want to take care of my readers and give you a brief warning.  

Having written this part of the story last spring, I did decide to add in my own very short spin of the conversation bewteen Carol and Ezekiel from the first part of season 8.  Because I do think it's a nice moment of their friendship. (because yes, that's all I'll ever see them as).

But I hope that doesn't ruin the chapter for you, there's other touching and good moments in this chapter too.  Hope you enjoy!

55. Enlightenment by Caryler22 [Reviews - 7] Liked (4531 words)

56. Turn the Tide by Caryler22 [Reviews - 6] Liked (4990 words)

57. 4 p.m. by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3088 words)

Sorry I missed the update yesterday.  Things got a little crazy for me.  Enjoy.

58. Clear by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3812 words)

59. "Just Wait" by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3356 words)

Warning: minor character death

60. Point Blank by Caryler22 [Reviews - 4] Liked (4416 words)

Warning: Some more minor character deaths.

61. "Is it over?" by Caryler22 [Reviews - 3] Liked (3046 words)

62. Pursuit by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (4200 words)

63. Black Pond by Caryler22 [Reviews - 6] Liked (4597 words)

Warning: some violence

64. "Fight!" by Caryler22 [Reviews - 6] Liked (3612 words)

Wow!  Thank you so much for all the reviews!

65. Odds by Caryler22 [Reviews - 8] Liked (4057 words)

Hey guys!  So I don't think I have to say this but I will:  I'm obviously not a doctor, so some of this medical stuff probably won't be the most accurate., but neither is the zombie apocalypse hahaha.  Hope you enjoy! 

66. Tailspin by Caryler22 [Reviews - 6] Liked (4343 words)

Posting a little earlier than usual today!  Enjoy.

67. Speak by Caryler22 [Reviews - 8] Liked (3295 words)

68. Ink Hearts by Caryler22 [Reviews - 8] Liked (3725 words)

Warning: Mentions of domestic abuse/violence.  

69. Finally by Caryler22 [Reviews - 10] Liked (3029 words)

70. Learn to Live with the Love by Caryler22 [Reviews - 4] Liked (3046 words)

Some team family love and more Caryl sweetness! (I feel like there could never be enough)

71. "Ain't Them" by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (2579 words)

72. The Renegades by Caryler22 [Reviews - 7] Liked (3674 words)

73. Todd by Caryler22 [Reviews - 5] Liked (3321 words)

74. When the Night Comes by Caryler22 [Reviews - 7] Liked (4145 words)

Small warning: Dark themes and images.  Major angst in this one!

75. We Get to Come Back by Caryler22 [Reviews - 6] Liked (4996 words)

Warning: Contains suicide (mentions of)/more angst.  Read with care!

76. Better Days by Caryler22 [Reviews - 6] Liked (3139 words)

77. Let Your Heart be Light by Caryler22 [Reviews - 6] Liked (6147 words)

78. A Place for Us by Caryler22 [Reviews - 7] Liked (3421 words)

79. Epilogue: A Wooden Cross by Caryler22 [Reviews - 12] Liked (5220 words)